Find
Notify
Tools

Ideal powder capacity
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Is there an Ideal "powder" capacity for the 6.5MM bore?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
That's sort of an interesting question, because of the variety and range of "successful" cartridges in 6.5mm. From 6.5 Grendel to 264 WM. Of course what makes it additionally interesting is that each cartridge has its ideal powder(s) which takes into account the case capacity.

For example, H335 would not be a good choice for the 264 WM while H4831 or IMR 7828 would not be good in the Grendel

So, It's my opinion that there is no one ideal case capacity simply because it's only one factor in the formula.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
And target intentions will dictate ideal case capacity as well. Paper or meat and expected range to be involved.
30-35gn of powder will get most 120-130 gn bullets (of suitable construction type for the intended target) away at suficient velocity to take care of business at least out to intermediate range. At least that is my expectation in building my 6.5 Gm that has a water capacity of 37.5 gn and will be expected to get a 123gn bullet away at 2700fps for an intended 500yd capability on meat. Paper will extend that distance somewhat.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you question is "where do you get the mostest for the leastest with a 6.5mm bullet I'd imagine it's somewhere around the 6.5 sweed to .260 Rem catagory.

Those old sweeds know what they were doing 120 years ago.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.5 MS or 6.5 Carcano is about the ideal especially with a long barrel.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What barrel length? That is also a factor.

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Something in the 260 - 6.5x55 range would seem about right for bullets under 130grs, and/or hunting purposes. For the long 140's and long range targets, the x284 case seems to be where it's at.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
How about the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
Something in the 260 - 6.5x55 range would seem about right for bullets under 130grs, and/or hunting purposes. For the long 140's and long range targets, the x284 case seems to be where it's at.

BINGO! I think that you are on to it Claret_Dabbler. I also think that the Ideal powder capacity HAS to vary with the specific powder used & bullet weight & maybe barrel length as TheBack40 has suggested.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I think the 6.5 MS or 6.5 Carcano is about the ideal especially with a long barrel.

Roll EyesI think there is a lot of truth here.Having used the Carcano for a number of years I found it to be a suitable deer cartridge.
oldWith a deep throat as it has the heavier bullets can be seated out and not infringe on the powder room. In a modern day rifle and loaded with heavy bullets, at pressures a little greater than 55,000 psi. The Carcano's performance does not fall far short of the .260.
Roll EyesA rough calculation shows that if the .260 moves a 160 gr. bullet at 2500 fps the Carcano will drive the same bullet at 2400 fps. barrel length being equal. EekerThat ain't too shabby. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:

BINGO! I think that you are on to it Claret_Dabbler. I also think that the Ideal powder capacity HAS to vary with the specific powder used & bullet weight & maybe barrel length as TheBack40 has suggested.

I pretty much agree with that. There was a time when the 6.5-06 was considered grossly "overbore". But that was before slower burning powders pretty much legitimized a lot of such chamberings.

It depends on the bullet you want to launch and how fast you want to launch it.

I love what my 260 does with Hornady 129 grainers and such, but for the 140's and up I personaly would prefer a bit more capacity. YMMV.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote