Find
Notify
Tools

6.5X284 Norma,.. Match Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted
I'm completely new to this cartridge and was hounded by my peers to get my (F) class chambered in this round. I got the Savage F class Model 12 at present the barrel is being tuned and I should have it in a week or so. Here's the funny part, my so called "peers" that talked me into it, don't even have a rifle in this caliber but assured me they are heading that direction. And to top it off, I'm a tactical competitor and have never shot F class. But with that said, I'm learning and would like to compete next year. So I am seeking some load knowledge and advice on this new en devour....Your thoughts.....

Barrel is stainless: 30" heavy with a 1:8 twist.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, please excuse my consistent ignorance..

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
142 grain SMK & Reloader 15.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle, albeit mine has a McGowen barrel on it instead of the factory Savage bbl.

The 2 bullets that gave me the best performance have been the 142 gr Sierra matchking, and the Berger 140 gr match VLD. I got slightly better performance from the Berger than the Sierra. This can vary from rifle to rifle, so my recommendation would be to try both bullets in your rifle.

My "chosen" powder has been H 4831SC. I'm using 50.0 grs in the Berger, and 50.5 grs in the Sierra load. I'm using Lapua brass and Fed match primers.

Your factory bbl may be a bit rough on the inside, some are worse than others. My recommendation would be to methodically break in that barrel before you get too worried about group performance and barrel fouling issues. It may take a couple hundred rounds to come in.

I assume you're going to shoot 1K with it?

You didn't ask, but I'm using a 20 moa base and a Nightforce scope.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:
I'm completely new to this cartridge and was hounded by my peers to get my (F) class chambered in this round. I got the Savage F class Model 12 at present the barrel is being tuned and I should have it in a week or so. Here's the funny part, my so called "peers" that talked me into it, don't even have a rifle in this caliber but assured me they are heading that direction. And to top it off, I'm a tactical competitor and have never shot F class. But with that said, I'm learning and would like to compete next year. So I am seeking some load knowledge and advice on this new en devour....Your thoughts.....

Barrel is stainless: 30" heavy with a 1:8 twist.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, please excuse my consistent ignorance..

The ONLY advice you need is right here

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ive seen one of those stock savages in 6.5-284 shoot groups barely bigger than the 6.5 hole
very impressed

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
I have the same rifle, albeit mine has a McGowen barrel on it instead of the factory Savage bbl.

I send all my stock bbl's to Fredric Gustaf in Switzerland (formerly with Anshultz / retired) he re-works the barrel and they come back unlike anything I have ever seen. I'm not sure what he does, but from what I understand he re-pulls(cold)the rifle button very slowly over a 24/Hr. period and water polishes the bore. It's basically what I call "tuning" for the lack of a better word. Before Savage really got it together, I used Kriegar bbl's. Not anymore, I think Savage's barrels are as good as anybodies with a little inexpensive tweaking. JMO....

Thanks for the load info!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a left handed Montana Rifle Co with a Krieger 1:8.5" twist on it. It likes the 142 grain SMK and 46 grains of H4350.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I send all my stock bbl's to Fredric Gustaf in Switzerland

What is that expense?

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:
I send all my stock bbl's to Fredric Gustaf in Switzerland

What is that expense?

With shipping/insurance about $300

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, to each his own for certain. That is still less expensive than a new custom barrel plus installation here in the U.S. I've never heard of that technique.

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, to each his own for certain. That is still less expensive than a new custom barrel plus installation here in the U.S. I've never heard of that technique.

I never heard of it either! I have heard of water polishing. My shooting partner tuned me into this a few years back after going to the factory in Germany. The best I can remember is that the groves in the barrel from rifling are simply profiled not re-profiled removing any burrs, crests and scratches. But I think the most important thing is finding it vibrating frequency so you can develop loads in and around that "sweet spot"? Anyhow, It does work and it's not a lot of $$. So what the he!!..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
139 grain Lapua silver scenar and 4831sc in my 12F.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of that process either. Sounds interesting. I doubt I'd ever spring for such a thing, but it's interesting, none the less.

By the way, my McGowen bbl was under $350 shipped. I actually ordered my rifle from Jim at Northland Shooting Supply as just an action and stock, and ordered the barrel from him at the same time. He gave me a discounted price for pulling the factory barrel off (which I'm sure he then sold), and I came out about $75 higher than the cost of the factory rifle with the factory barrel on it.

I haven't tried the scenars in my rifle. I have a box of them sitting on my bullet shelf, but luckily, the Bergers shoot so well for me I didn't have to try the scenars.

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never heard of that process either. Sounds interesting. I doubt I'd ever spring for such a thing, but it's interesting, none the less.

By the way, my McGowen bbl was under $350 shipped. I actually ordered my rifle from Jim at Northland Shooting Supply as just an action and stock, and ordered the barrel from him at the same time. He gave me a discounted price for pulling the factory barrel off (which I'm sure he then sold), and I came out about $75 higher than the cost of the factory rifle with the factory barrel on it.

I haven't tried the scenars in my rifle. I have a box of them sitting on my bullet shelf, but luckily, the Bergers shoot so well for me I didn't have to try the scenars.

Now that we are on to barrels (good subject) has anyone shot out a Savage before re-barreling it? The reason I ask is that Savage set 3 records last year including the 1000M with their own stock barrels. As I have stated I'm a tactical shooter and BR and F are new to me but I had my BAS10/K .308 re-barreled with a Krieger and with the exception of liking a slightly different load, it shots no better than the stock Savage barrel. Of course I had the stock barrel tuned but I'm interested in others experience. Also I have a FCP 10K in .223 with Savages heavy fluted barrel. It's incredibly accurate out to 500 yards. I think I posted a 200 yard group on another tread but a 5 shot group came in at about .95" at 200 yards. As a tactical shooter there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to re-barrel that as we are shooting at human silhouettes and any strike counts. Is there a reason to replace that barrel if shooting 300 yard f class????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 142 SMK and H4350 in my Nesika/Broughton 6.5/284.

Posts: 378 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a tactical shooter there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to re-barrel that as we are shooting at human silhouettes and any strike counts. Is there a reason to replace that barrel if shooting 300 yard f class????

no

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
the only time to rebarrel is when the current barrel is no longer satifying your needs or desires or goals. factory or custom, doesn't matter.

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
the only time to rebarrel is when the current barrel is no longer satifying your needs or desires or goals. factory or custom, doesn't matter.

Now you are using logic and making sense bewildered . I don't know if I can handle that.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Now you are using logic and making sense bewildered . I don't know if I can handle that.

Is there a time when I didn't?

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I would wait until the barrel tells you it's time to go. If you're talking 300 yard F class with the 6.5x284, it's like killing ants with a sledge hammer. Way more caliber than you need for 300 yds. If that's just a way to get your feet wet before you step it out to 600-1000 yds, then that is entirely different.

I doubt I have more than 500 rds down my McGowen bbl yet. But the 6.5 is gonna erode the throat faster than say a 6br, or heck even a 223 (you did say 300 yds). Just some food for thought there.

I've heard that the "new" 6.5 pony is the 6.5x47 Lapua (not to be confused with the old 6x47 and 6.5x47 that were based on the 222 Rem mag case). Supposedly it doesn't eat barrels (throats) as quickly. I have no personal experience with that round, it's just something I'm hearing around.

Some of the guys are pulling barrels at a certain round count on their br rigs, but I say wait until the accuracy falls off, and you can't chase the throat anymore with your seating depth.

I'm hoping to get 1500 rds out of mine, but that may be a bit optimistic. We shall see.

I'm seriously looking at a 6br chambering for a mid range gun (to say 500-600 yds), to ease the round count on my long range rig (the 6.5x284). Although there's a smoking deal on a 6x47 Lapua barrel right now that I'm trying to ignore.

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would wait until the barrel tells you it's time to go. If you're talking 300 yard F class with the 6.5x284, it's like killing ants with a sledge hammer. Way more caliber than you need for 300 yds. If that's just a way to get your feet wet before you step it out to 600-1000 yds, then that is entirely different.

I doubt I have more than 500 rds down my McGowen bbl yet. But the 6.5 is gonna erode the throat faster than say a 6br, or heck even a 223 (you did say 300 yds). Just some food for thought there.

I've heard that the "new" 6.5 pony is the 6.5x47 Lapua (not to be confused with the old 6x47 and 6.5x47 that were based on the 222 Rem mag case). Supposedly it doesn't eat barrels (throats) as quickly. I have no personal experience with that round, it's just something I'm hearing around.

Some of the guys are pulling barrels at a certain round count on their br rigs, but I say wait until the accuracy falls off, and you can't chase the throat anymore with your seating depth.

I'm hoping to get 1500 rds out of mine, but that may be a bit optimistic. We shall see.

I'm seriously looking at a 6br chambering for a mid range gun (to say 500-600 yds), to ease the round count on my long range rig (the 6.5x284). Although there's a smoking deal on a 6x47 Lapua barrel right now that I'm trying to ignore.

300 yards was just a throw-in. I'm looking to use this particular rifle for the 600 and 1000 yard matches. 1500 rounds doesn't seem like a lot? I get 4500 to 6500 rounds out of my .308's before losing any noticeable accuracy. My AI/AW .338 Lapua Mag. got 1900 rounds through it before it started key-holing. Thanks for the help!!

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is there a time when I didn't?

Certainly not intended as it may sound coming off the cuff, just poking fun at myself. Your advice is/was sound. And fact so sound I couldn't handle it. In other words, I'm not used to things making sense or being logical. Therefore, "I don't know if I can handle that". Not that it came from you but rather the situation..Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-284 barrels are burning more powder in a smaller space compared to the 308, they're gonna torch barrels pretty quickly.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
The 6.5-284 barrels are burning more powder in a smaller space compared to the 308, they're gonna torch barrels pretty quickly.

In most cases this is true. I have heard of a few rifles in this caliber going 8000-10000 rounds in hunting rifles where fast repeated shots are not performed throughout the life of the rifle.