New
Find
Notify
Tools

788 in 222 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Besides the CZ in 17 Rem I just ordered I'm looking at a 788 in 222 Rem with a Weaver K 8-1 with par adjustment. They want $595 for the whole setup. Is this a good price for this rig???? Thanks

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first 788 new for about $105.00 (I'm old). In very good to excellent condition here in Montana now 788's seem to run around $300.00 sans scope. My last 788 was in 7-08 and looked brand new, the guy had bought it new in about 1981 to hunt with his then brother-in-law, bought 3 boxes of shells with it, had 2 boxes and 8 rounds left. It had a 4X Bushnell Banner on it sling and case, he didn't like hunting and his wife didn't like him so he lost the brother-in-law. He was asking $150.00 in the local Mini-Nickle, I bought it so fast it almost amazed him, after all he'd paid $150.00 when he bought it, I think he'd a dickered but I didn't have it in me. It shoots 3/4 inch groups and now wears a 2X7 Leupold, the only reason I tell this story is I'm usually the guy that can turn a Sako into a Savage in about three trades. This rates as one of my best buys ever, happened about 3 years ago, probably never happen again.

Back to your question, sounds like too much money to me but I'd sure like to have it. 788's are shooters and I love em. In a triple duce I bet it's a tack driver.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought one in 6mm for $400, it was in excellent condition. I thought that was kinda high but I wanted it. Have a 22-250 I got for $275 5 years ago - excellent gun. 222's are supposed the best shooters, but $595 sounds a little too steep.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE A 788 DUECE AND MAN IS IT A TACKDRIVER. I BOUGHT MINE FROM A ESTATE SELL FOR 400$. THE GUN WAS ABOUT 25 YEARS OLD AND ONLY HAD ABOUT 5 ROUNDS EVER FIRED THROUGH IT. THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM SAID HIS FATHER BOUGHT 2 OF THEM AND KEPT THAT ONE JUST TO COLLECT. IT WAS STILL IN THE ORIGINAL REMINGTON BOX WITH ALL PAPERWORK. SO TO SUM IT UP I WOULD SAY THAT THE PRICE THEY ARE ASKING IS A LITTLE STEEP, ESPECIALLY FOR A USED GUN. BUT ON THE SAME NOTE, AFTER SEEING WHAT THAT LITTLE 788 DUECE CAN DO, I WOULD NOT BLAME YOU FOR BUYING IT.

Posts: 29 | Location: OATMEAL TEXAS BY BERTRAM TX BY LIBERTY HILL TX BY AUSTIN TX ........ETC, ETC, ETC | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For just the rifle $495, Rifle with weaver scope and mounts $595. It looks to have a heavy barrel on it, I will have to inquire to find out more. I saw one in 22-250 with a good scope on it for sale for $900. I have never owned a 788 but have always heard good things about them expecially in 222. Is it worth tring to go with the 788 or are they no better than a 700???? Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a 788 in .308 at a show a few months back for 345 in decent shape. I don't think it's a 450 dollar rifle unless I really had to have one. in such a case, the price would be justified because I would have gotten what I wanted.

I didn't buy that 308, and I should have.

-tincan

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Reading these replies makes me feel better about paying $225 for mine. I was just miffed because the seller had offered it for $180 and I said I would take it, then when the gun finally showed up the price was two and a quarter. Luckily a mutual friend intervened, bought it and then sold it to me when I got off of my "High-Horse" for the same price.

The chamber is so tight there are lots of cases I have shot in my Contender of 24V that will NOT chamber.
Still searching for that 'perfect load . . . of course that is what makes owning a firarearm worthwhile!

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the 722's in 222??? Are the 722's 788's worth looking for or are you as well off with a 700? I'd always heard that the 722's and 788's were better shooters than the 700's True/false? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
My only objection to the 788 Remington's is that they are noticably heavier than most other guns. They have a hardwood stock (not wallnut) and there is a "lot of iron" in a 788 (heavy everything)! It was made to be a "Plain Jane" rifle! But I haven't seen one that wouldn't shoot better than most other rifles!

I had one years ago, in .223 that I could pick off asprin size pebbles at 100 yards with!

They are deffinitely worth having, especially if you can buy it right!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, guys get a grip on yourself. A 788 is a accurate gun, but this hipe is getting out of hand. I live in Ohio and you can find them in local gunshops for $250 or so. I just saw a 243 in good condition ( had been hunted with) with a cheap scope for $245. Last month in Columbus I saw a 6 MM Rem in like new condition for $235.
I own two myself and love them but I'd buy a 700 over them because of parts, mags and such.
Wanna sell that old 788 222.?
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 788's in various calibers. Most were $200-300 CDN. The only one I paid more for had been 'smithed into a 6mm-284, and had a bunch of work done to it (brake, etc). When I was at the Bozeman gunshow in Dec, there were quite a few, and all were in the $300-350 US range. Maybe it's a local thing. As mentioned, they sure are shooters. Oh, and if this 222 has a heavy barrel, someone changed it, because they never came from the factory that way. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 788 has become a cult item. I guess because nothing that ugle should shoot that well. Maybe like the Ford Edsel. I see them on the internet at or near $400. That's kinda steep to my thinking although I'd buy one in a heartbeat that was $300-350. The 6mm is becoming a real collectors item but the magazines are hard to find. Some of the rifles do run kinda expensive because many high-end bench guns were made from them and at one time there was a pletora of after market items available.
I have two at the smith now being rebarrelled. As I recall, I paid less than $100 for my first one.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Remmington was still making their 788, I had one in .222. Here are the old tried and true loads I used.[52-53 gr bullet]:
4198....19.0 grains
Ball C 2...22.5 grains
I got one hole groups every time I shot.
Todays "antique" price I can not discuss.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, 788's shoot like crazy! Had one in 6mm Rem about 25-30 years ago, decided that the 700BDL looked better, sold the 788!! Doh!!! I'd LOVE to have a 788 in 222, or nay other calibre. BUT!! If you're going to use it, better make sure you can get a spare magazine for it, or you'll end up with the most difficult single shot rifle you've ever owned (the ejection port isn't that easy to load thru). On top of that, the action is not the fastest to cycle.

Much as I regret selling my 788, if I had my time over again, I'd get a Sako L461 for 222, or it's larger brother (567) if I wanted a medium length cartridge. Actually, I'm looking for a medium length Sako action right now! Before our US friends get excited, getting an action into Australia is kind of difficult, so please forgive me if I don't respond to offers to sell!!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 788 in .222 Rem. It is very accurate. Pretty well every load that I have tried averages less than 1 moa with the best loads averaging close to 1/2 moa. That is about all that is desirable about this gun however. I find that I do not use the rifle much anymore because it is so ugly and clunky.

If all you want is an economical accurate rifle for targets and varmints, the 788 would be a good choice, if the price were right. $595 is not a good price, even in Canadian dollars. In my opinion, a good used early Rem. 700 in .222 would be a better buy in the long run.

regards,

rollinghills

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy, if ever there was a rifle that was a victim of its own success, the model 788 is it. I can't believe
Reminton thought it would be so popular. It was a sad day when Remington discontinued making it.
Most were real tack drivers. The price you mentioned seems a bit high to me, but their numbers
certainly are not going to increase. It almost seems like the older model Remingtons are in greater demand
today than the newer ones. I guess that might tell us something about the quality of the newer models.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My only objection to the 788 Remington's is that they are noticably heavier than most other guns. They have a hardwood stock (not wallnut) and there is a "lot of iron" in a 788 (heavy everything)! It was made to be a "Plain Jane" rifle! But I haven't seen one that wouldn't shoot better than most other rifles!

I had one years ago, in .223 that I could pick off asprin size pebbles at 100 yards with!

They are deffinitely worth having, especially if you can buy it right!

Not entirely true, early examples such as mine in 222 have walnut stocks, still heavy though but they are consistently accurate.

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell me about the 722's I also have one of those to look at. This one is a custom built one with a Douglas premium barrel and custom wood target stock. It has a BDL floor plate and trigger guard. Comes with weaver bases and Burris rings. They want $795 for it. I don't know anything about the 722's can you fill me in?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
HEY TC LOUIS. TRY 20 GRAINS OF IMR 4198 B-4CCI PRIMERS AND A 40 GRAIN SIERRA BLITZKING,WINCHESTER BRASS NECK SIZE ONLY. WITH THIS LOAD MY 788 DUECE WILL PUT 10 SHOTS IN SUCESSION AT .25 INCH AT A HUNDRED YRDS AVERAGE FPS 3350.
DAN BELISLE, HATE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU BUT MY 788 DUECE HAS A HEAVY BARREL WITH FATORY STAMPINGS ON IT.
CAL SIBLEY, I COULD NOT HAVE STATED IT BETTER MYSELF. I WOULD NOT BUY A NEW REMINGTON IF MY LIFE OR MY EX WIFES LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. WELL MABE NOT THE LATTER BUT I'M SURE YOU GET THE IDEA.

Posts: 29 | Location: OATMEAL TEXAS BY BERTRAM TX BY LIBERTY HILL TX BY AUSTIN TX ........ETC, ETC, ETC | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Boy, if ever there was a rifle that was a victim of its own success, the model 788 is it. I can't believe
Reminton thought it would be so popular. It was a sad day when Remington discontinued making it.
Most were real tack drivers.

I think it became too popular- it was a low-cost alternative to the 700's and a lot of gun for the money. not as slick as a 700, but I'm guessing remington feared it cut too deep into 700 sales.

just a guess, mind you.

-tincan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Tex, I guess my next question is describe what you mean by heavy barrel (length and diameter). I stand by what I said, they were not available from the factory with a heavy (varmint profile) barrel. Perhaps someone put on a 700 V barrel somewhere along the way. Not trying to start an argument, simply stating the facts according to Remington. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat: The 788's have been very popular for quite some time now among Varminters and gun traders.

I have bought and resold many of them! My friends that shoot them rave about their accuracy and I have seen many custom Varminters made on the actions.

My most recent 788 "turnover" was in 243 Winchester caliber and it was in 97%+ condition. It had a 4X scope on it and I bought it at a garage sale for $200.00 including a case and some ammo. I promptly sold the Rifle at the FIRST gun show I took it to for $300.00. And I then sold the scope for a pittance seperately and kept the gun case and ammo.

I see the 788's at shows all over the west asking $350 to $365.00 in 90 to 95% condition. The ones I see actually sell (in excellent condition) go for $300.00 to $325.00 usually.

That 222 Remington in 788 is going to move (at a reasonable price) very quickly as spring approaches! I would offer $325.00 - $340.00 for the Rifle only. Make sure the barrel appears fresh in the rifling department. Otherwise pass on that set up. I am not familiar with that particular Weaver scope.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed 2 clips in 222 for a Remington 788 hanging in my local gunshop today,
Anyone interested in them? I will provide you with the details

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Hairtrigger
If you would, please see what the shop wants for the 788 magazines for the 222.
I have two, but an upcoming experiment may recuce that to 1 if it fails!
Thanx,
Louis

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 788 in .223 Rem. I have had it for 15 years. I paid $150 for it. It is heavy, but very accurate. It is in Camo now and I used it for coyote hunting. One inch groups at 100 yards are no problem.

Posts: 10 | Location: Provo Utah | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote