Find
Notify
Tools

17 HMR Information request
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings all,
I am looking for some inromation on this rimfire round. I live in Ohio so Groundhogs, Squirrels, and the occasional Fox and/or Coyote would be the primary hunting target with target practice also.
I have a 22LR and 243 and was looking at something for me so I can also take my daughter out with the 22.

I am not a reloader.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Amosgreg
try this link
http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
It is a great round.
Turtle

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I already have!
I was looking for anyone with personal experience!

I think I am sold but am wondering if I should (money issue!) get a single shot rifle, magazine rifle or a Thompson Contender style pistol with stock?

The 2 shops I have looked at here in Columbus are both out of stock right now.

Thanks for the link
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
I have one. I have only taken it to the range to play with but feel very confident that it would take the range of animals you mentioned with the exception of anything bigger than a groundhog. I have a T/C but have no idea of the cost of one. I got mine in a trade. The gun I traded was a ten gauge double with all the fixens. The ammunition id hard to find so I would start reloading if you plan to shoot allot ( and you will ). I like the Sub Sonics for kids so you may want to keep that in mind to. The 17 HMR is very loud and kids tend no be shy of noise. If this is for you only then GET IT!
Turtle

I forgot to mention the scope. [Embarrassed]
It had a Weaver on it but I changed it to a Swarovski HABICHT PF 6 x 42. I love this scope!

[ 07-31-2002, 19:18: Message edited by: BBTURTLE ]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Up to fox in size, the little .17 rimfire will do fine, but it is in no shape, form or fashion suitable for coyotes. Even compact, heavy-but-smaller critters such as 'coon and groudhog/rockchucks are pushing the envelope a bit.

Fox in my area are small (greys 7-10 pounds). Reds are heavier but not by much.

This past week, I took a large nuisance 'coon in the center of the chest at 35 yards. The 'coon whipped its head around, then trotted off as if nothing happened. There was too much foliage to get off another shot.

It made it at least 25-30 yards before folding and never showed any indications of being hit. I thought I had either missed or hit one of the small branches between myself & the target. The bullet did not exit.

The .17 HMR has exited on just under half of the 'possums I have taken with it, and these are neither stocky nor very big. Ranges: 5 to 65 yards.

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby have you done any longer range shooting with it? 100+ yards.
I read in 1 article that it improved it's stopping power at the little bit longer ranges.

What type of rifle/pistol do you have Bobby?

Thanks for the info BBTURTLE

Greg

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Greg-
Penetration at slightly longer ranges may improve a little as the velocity slows and the bullets expands less violently, but the perceived stopping power does not improve.

I have a plain-Jane Marlin 17-V (heavy barrel), and it groups well under an inch at 100 yards. At 200 yards, 5-shot groups average closer to 2.5" (the wind is always a factor in my area).

For an idea of "power", I had placed a half of a brick into a quart can at 200 yards. I had actually put it there for long-range plinking with a .22 LR. But I had the 17 out and decided to see if I could center-punch it using my Stoney Point shooting stix. I did, and the can never toppled or appeared to move. A tiny bit of white dust did flow above the can.

Upon inspection, the 17 grain slug did only minor surface damage to the brick and was found in many pieces inside the can. None of the fragments exited the metal can. Granted, this is far from scientific and bears little usefulness, but it does emphasize that the .17 rimfire is far from a powerhouse.

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
greg, at the gun store where i work if you buy five marlin lever guns you got two marlin 17 vs free i took one right out of the box put a swift 4x32 scope on it with millet rings and put four out of five in one ragged hole at 50 yds at 100 yds i was grouping less than an inch with it but could barely see the target with the scope i was using those cci velocitor targets since then i had our smith tune the trigger to 1.5 lbs and put on a 4x12x40 swift scope, but as for the killing power it is great for things like turtles maybe crows but animals like beavers laugh at it i know, i don't know if it burns up on the skin or what, i do no that it is hell on a pepsi bottle, plastic one that is but we have not sighted it back in to get is full potential, we also have ansch,. rugers, and volquartzen instock or on the way i doubt if they will out perform the marlin maybe in looks but not accuracy

<jim saubier>
posted
I have used a Marlin 17V since they first came out in the spring. Have shot it a fair amount and really like it for varminting. I have shot 9 or 10 woodchucks with mine and have only lost one. The one that I lost was shot in the body, could'nt recover him to see where he was hit. Mine required a trigger job when I got it to make it remotely acceptable - I like mine at 2 lbs or less. I usually take head shots or neck shots one hogs now, or chest shots if they are standing. I haven't had any problem anchoring them since the first one that I body shot.

Accuracy is good, mine averaged 1.0" at 100 yards for 12 five shot groups - all done off a bipod and rear sandbag rest. I shot the above groups before I had the chance to improve the factory trigger.

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
BBTurtle
How do you reload a rimfire! I'd stick with bought rounds, if'n you don't mind!!!
Henrik

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I took a 17HMR to Idaho this last spring to shoot rockchucks. We killed in the neighborhood of about 50 just with the 17 and the shots ranged from 50' to 185 yards in the wind. I had two misses out of 30 shots and both of those were to much hold over. The cartridge shoots very flat and Kills like something much larger. I would not hesitate in telling you to try one. Living in Grand Island and knowing the guy that "invented/developed" the round, Dave Emory is a smart guy and this is the tip of the iceberg. Also considering the things they are experimenting with will make a very good round even better. Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
My buddy Shaun Frame put up a nice thread on this subject. Click here. 17 Hummer info

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JoeM for the link.
I think I am going to get one as soon as my wife allows it [Smile]
New England Arms single shot or a Ruger 10/22 (Whatever the numbers are in the 17)
Suggestions one over the other?
Primarily varmits and squirrels.

Thanks
Greg