New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement guns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to replace a couple of rifles that shouldn't have left my company for various reasons and I would like your thoughts.I will be buying second hand mostly as I cant afford new all the time although I am thinking about having one built.
1/ 22 hornet, I think I should be looking at something like a brno zkw465
2/ 357 lever or pump action, short handy 8 to 10 round cap.
3/ 6.5 want something built on a modern action so I can load to its fullest.considering having one built as a club level target rifle, but still use it a lot for hunting
whats your thoughts??

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way to get your money's worth is to have the cash ready when the used gun is before you. That way you can bargain.

As to what you want all I can say is that other rifles could be fun too. What I am saying is not to pass up a good deal on some other gun. For instance a heavy 223 could be loaded down to be a Hornet and shoot in club matches as well.

Buy a gun safe first.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brno Hornet is a cool little rifle.

As for the .357 rifle, take a good hard look at the Puma rifles imported by Legacy Sports. These are made in Brazil by what used to be Rossi. Several years ago, these rifles were a total crap shoot, but not anymore. Rossi is now owned by Taurus and these little Winchester 92's are VERY nice.

I recently tested a stainless Legacy 92 in .480 Ruger and it was one great rifle. Try as I might, I couldn't get it to malfunction. The action was smoother than any original Winchester that I've held and accuracy was downright respectable, averaging 3/4" at 50 yards with the fiber optic sights.

The gun kicked like all get out, and the caliber was nothing I was interested in so I didn't make an offer on the rifle. If it was in .357, you would have had to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Ok, now for the 6.5...The Winchester Model 70 is a good one to have when you can find them. 6.5x55 has been in their catalog for years but they're hard to find. Winchester does one quick production run and then they're scarce for the rest of the year.

Honestly, I've NEVER seen a 6.5x55 that didn't shoot well..Must be magicSmiler

Good luck

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You cannot go wrong with the Brno ZKW-465. Another good choice if you don't mind a single shot is the Ruger #3. Or as someone else mentioned, go with a 223 and download if you must, or just buy cheap military surplus ammo. Good choices there include the Brno ZKK-601, the Mini Mark X and the Sako L-461. I recently sold my ZKW-465 and now have a Mini Mark X and a Brno ZKK for my 22 centerfires. The Marlin 1894 (pre-safety type) is an excellent choice for a 357 lever gun. If I were to build a 6.5, it would be a 6.5x55 on a Mexican Mauser action, or maybe an MRC or FN commercial action.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote