Find
Notify
Tools

223 ebay cases...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted
I bought 500 223 brass from ebay and I knew I was getting a bunch of stuff that was picked up at a range. About 200 hundred are stamped C J with a year "83". There are a little more than 100 Rem.and Fed. cases, and then there are a bunch that I have never heard of, I guess most are mil surp., but I have cases stamped NPA, PMP,TZZ, FNM, H1, MAL(maybe a 100 of these), HP, PS, WRA, ING, and a few Lake City brass. Some have 5.56 with the letters. Are there any here that can't be reloaded? I use good brass in my varmit rifle, and this stuff for my mini-14. Thanks, BA

Arkansas football will rise again!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like you do have quite a mixture. I'd clean 'em up, sort them by weight or headstamp and go for it. If you have lots of one kind that would make it worthwhile to load them as a group, I'd do that too. Then I would cull them as I fired them: throw out the flyers and keep the rest.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch for crimped in primers in the mil-surp stuff. More work than standard brass due to having to remove the crimp.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buying ebay brass is risky, I know. Here's a site for cartridge headstamp identification:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
Check each piece of brass inside and out. Use the sharpened bent wire method to feel for cracks and stretching on the inside of EACH case. These cases have probably been fired in several different guns. Check the rims for bending from extractors. Some of the brass like the CJ is much heavier than most and full power loads should be reduced. As said, some have primer crimps. I've found two dealers on E-Bay that sell good quality .223 brass yet I still check EACH piece of brass inside and out before using.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I'm with rg1,,I probably reject 1/3 of the once fired cases I buy for 223,308,30/06.Have kind of shyed away from that and buy new stuff. A rcbs case master is a handy thing to have on the bench,And does a bunch of checks,,bullet runout,neck wall concentricity,internal wall cracks,and a couple of other things that I forgot to mention,,But almost a must have for messing with "once fired" brass,,or making the decision to dump a batch of brass a little easier,,Have fun!!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been buying brass off Ebay for years. I get 60% or better of the brass I use there. I would venture that I have thrown away less than 5% due being unsuitable for reloading. I just bought 100 once fired brass for my .450 Marlin and when they arrived there were 107 cases in the box. All cleaned, de-primed and polished ready for full length sizing. A bonus was included, a nice 3.5†skinning knife complete with sheath. Price was $21.52 including delivery charge. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten a lot of handgun brass of Ebay. Read the ads carefully. Look for things like all like head stamps. Confirm the shipping price before you bid so there aren't any big $urprise$. Set a price in your mind you think is fair if it goes over than oh well there another auction is few minutes more than likely.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.223 brass is plentiful on Ebay. I don't know what you paid for your lot but you can often get same headstamp, non-GI, cleaned brass at a very reasonable price. (knock on wood) I've had pretty good luck buying brass on Ebay.

FYI, the gi brass is no biggie. You just have the extra step of removing the primer crimp. I did that to a hundred last night while watching TV.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote