Find
Notify
Tools

22 K-hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
I have a Browning 22 K-Hornet that I could not refuse so know I need some loads for it.

I have read some of the other post and the 35gr V-Max with Lilgun seems to be a great load.

I have something I would like to do and that is take a heavier bullet and load it light (subsonic) Does any one have any recommendations for that.
Also does anyone know the twist rate on this barrel (factory). I have read somewhere that it is 1-14 but might be 1-12. If that is so I think I am limited to about a 50gr bullet. I was thinking of loading some Barnes solids in 50gr heavier if I could.

Thanks

Wayne

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shot a few 55gr fmj's out of mine...a TC contender carbine... bullberry barrel... and they seemed to stabilize ok at 100yds... I don't remember the velocity offhand...I wasn't trying for slow.
Mine shoots the 50gr TNT pretty well, also. I imagine you should be able to shoot the 50-55gr bullets ok...

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Browning webpage, and they list the Micro Hunter in 22 Hornet as a 1/16" twist.. I don't know what model yours is..but if someone just reamed out a standard Micro Hunter, that's what you have.... You might be limited to no more than 50gr if it is a 1/16".
I think, bottom line, is you just have to try it... I'm thinking that more comes into play than simply twist rate.

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Montana:

I have something I would like to do and that is take a heavier bullet and load it light (subsonic)

Loading a "heavy" bullet to subsonic speeds may not work well. The problem is that the slower the velocity, the greater the rate of twist needed to stabilize a given bullet. In other words, a 55 gr MIGHT stabilize in your barrel at, say, 2400 fps, but the same bullet might not stabilize at only 1100 fps.

The only way to find out is to try. For a load at this speed, I would try Unique as the propellant of choice.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montana I've always found the hornets seem to favor 45gn or max 52gn pojs.Speer used to have a 52gn hpbt that was dynomite but I have always tried to stay around the 45gn mark in the hornet. Choosing yo use 50gns + in 222 & up

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I've got to strongly recomend the Hornady SX line in the 50gr weight, or possibly the 55's. The K will shoot the light bullets (35gr's.) amazingly fast and give a .222 a run for it's money! This is s fun cartridge make no misake. My favorite powder was Win 680, but AA1680 should be a good one also. I agree that Unique for the subsonic's would be preferable though.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I tried subsonic 60 gr hp's in my 10" 218 mashburn bee contender w/ 1/12 twist. They keyholed in the target. I did inadvertantly find out that they penetrate like crazy at close range though. Went through 3 2X4's (skinny side), a 4X4, then turned itself completely inside out on the concrete floor.

You'll want to stick with the lighter and or shorter bullets for a low velocity load.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote