New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornet Powder
 Login/Join

<Snout>
posted
What powder shoots the cleanest in the 22 Hornet.
Have not reloaded for the Hornet for over 10 years and my memory ain't what it use to be. Previously used H110, but remember it as being on the dirty side.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best I have used is Lil-Gun. Very fast with low pressures and clean.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
Without a doubt, Lil' Gun.

<George Capriola>
posted
I am also a great believer in Lil'Gun. It was the single biggest improvement in accuracy for my Ruger 77/22VHZ.
But, I wouldn't call Lil'Gun exactly clean-burning. I find it pretty dirty, actually, with lots of soot left over in the cases.
Second to Lil'Gun, accuracy-wise, I'd say AA1680 is pretty clean, as is H4227 and H110 (although I tried very little H110).
Make mine Lil'Gun, though, and I"ll live with the soot. [Big Grin]
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snout,

I've had very good performance in the K-Hornet with a small pistol primer, Alliant 2400 and a Nosler 40 BT.

Don Shearer

Posts: 223 | Location: Centennial, CO USA | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried LilGun in my 221 Fireball, with velocities averaging 3550fps with Barnes 40gr Varminator. My first surprise was the velocity, the second was seeing sooty case necks. All other "typical" pressure signs were normal compared to my standard load using AA1680. Much more to be learned, but that is a remarkable powder.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WW 680 ( if you can find any get me a couple of pounds also ), AA1680, or H322 have all worked well for me. Shooting Lil Gun in my Hornet was about like shooting black powder - very messy.

<Snout>
posted
Thanks for all the help. Have used most powders except for AA1680 and Lil Gun. My Hornet is in the shop undergoing some serious gunsmithing. Will have the AA and the Lil Gun when the Hornet is fixed. Mine was a Ruger 77/22 and it never shot good at all. It was the only rifle I ever owned that simply could not be made to shoot better. It shot all loads the same, ugly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snout:
Thanks for all the help. Have used most powders except for AA1680 and Lil Gun. My Hornet is in the shop undergoing some serious gunsmithing. Will have the AA and the Lil Gun when the Hornet is fixed. Mine was a Ruger 77/22 and it never shot good at all. It was the only rifle I ever owned that simply could not be made to shoot better. It shot all loads the same, ugly.

I'm tuning up a 77/22VHZ at the momement and have to say it's is been a bit of work to get it to shoot, but progress is being made. Now that I have it dancing near a MOA(but still over), I'm going to install a Moyer's trigger to see if that helps in getting the rifle and shooter under a MOA. Shooting a rifle with a trigger pull as heavy as the gun, is difficult at best. I have a Moyer's trigger in my 77/22 VBZ, and they're just the ticket for 77/22s. I have my 22 Mag shooting under 3/4" @ 100yds with Remington Premier ammo.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try somewhere around 13.2gr LilGun and a 40gr V Max or Blitzking. In my anschutz they shoot to the same point of impact at around 3,000fps. Standard deviation stink's on the Hornet but get's way better in my K. Standard deviation doesn't mean much on a 200 yrd rifle anyway. The only caution is that due to bullet length getting V Max's and Blitzkigs out near the land's mean's they don't fit the magazine, Most of my varminting I do single shot anyway but I'm sure some won't like it.---very accurate--- LilGun's the powder---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<bobcash>
posted
10.0 gr-2400 with a Rem 6 1/2 primer in a Remington case with the Nosler 45 gr. Solid Base Hornet bullet works well in all of my Hornets...I have found this Nosler bullet to perform very well in every Hornet I've owned

<mbkddd>
posted
Currently use Lil'Gun with excellent results. Some people claim it messy. I don't see it as messy. Routine barrel cleaning is no different with other powders i've used. Tried lots of powder to bullet combinations with Lil'Gun by far exceeding all other powders. Well worth the 'mess'.

I have bought the new Reloader 10X powder and want to try it out on several of my small cal's. Has anyone tried this powder in 22hornet, 222 & 243?

Appreciate any experinces with the Reloader 10X powder.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Having less variety in powders choice, I've found that N110 by VithaVuori Oy is very clean. I'm shooting a rechambered Anschutz in 22K-Hornet.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried Aussie AR2205, which was so-so, but very clean.

Went to W296 and haven't used anything else since. SD averages about 29fps in a standard (not K-ed) Hornet.

We will NOT be getting Lil Gun here in Oz according to Hodgdon [Frown]

(Considering the latest recall -- maybe that's not a bad thing!!)

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I'm now working on the last five pounds of a 50 lb. keg of WW-680. I'll switch to AA-1680 next year when the last of it is likely to be gone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk, you must shoot quite a bit to run five pounds of WW680 through a Hornet in a year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck replacing that WW-680. Why do they always drop the good ones? To keep us buying new stuff I guess. If you find any 680 let us know. ---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Dan C>
posted
Montdoug, Powder Valley Services sells Hodgdon H-116, which they claim is repackaged WW 680. Cheap too, something like $55 for an 8-pounder. I have a jug and it works swell in my 19 Calhoon. [Big Grin]

www.powdervalleyinc.com

Dan C

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Do any of you use WC 680 that can be purchased from either Bartlett, HI-TECH, or McDonald?
LouisB

[ 04-18-2003, 03:26: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ,DanC-- I order from powder valley and will get right on that , Thanks again.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found 2400 with nosler 45gr. hornet bullets to be the most accurate in my contender. Bore one hole at 50 yards and will hold under 3/4-inch at 100yds.

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every gun is an individual. I've been surprised that my customized Krieger-barreled K-Hornet (built on a very modified Ruger 77-22) seems to favor the faster powders.

I can't get enough 4227 in it under a long-seated 40 grain Ballistic Tip to reach typical velocities and pressures. Mine quits at about 12.5 grains of powder for about 2900 fps. I switched to the faster (but slightly bulkier) 2400, and was able to seemingly exceed the pressures I wanted with 12.2 grains for 3100 fps. Dropping back to 11.9 grains, I got 3000 fps at reasonable pressures, consistent SD's, and
pinpoint accuracy (an honest .60" at 100 yards for five shots -- make that a .35" group for four, if you want to count it that way.)

I can't get decent velocities out of my gun with the case crammed full of 4198 or AA 2200. Haven't tried Lil' Gun, but the 2400 does so well for me that I think I'll just stick with it.

I've tried switching off to pistol primers, but can't tell any difference in their favor as some hornet shooters report.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote