THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Snuck up on a couple Sakos recently!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snuck up on a couple Sakos recently!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Thanks to a friend, I was able to snag these two recently.

top rifle: Sako L461, 222 Rem. Mag

bottom rifle: Sako AII, Mannlicher stock, 7mm-08

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Have a few myself but none as pretty as the top one.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Those are sweet rifles, love the 222 mag, many a round downrange with that cartridge.

Enjoy them.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice rifles. I has a SAKO 223 once, [my brother has it now, I love those small actions. He has my SAKO 375 H&H Handy rifle as well.

I much prefer the older 2 lugged SAKO actions to the newer ones.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
very nice set

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushcook,

couldn't help but notice your "sigline"

I do luv perforating porkers myself,

prolly more than most..........

and do it with Sakos quite often.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love those small action Sakos. I have a handful of them.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Nice find. Is that a Leupold LPS on the bottom rifle? I have one on my 375 H&H.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another nice Sako in that top photo. Unfortunately I don't get to perforate anything like as many porkers as I'd like to. None close by. I usually travel 2000 miles to the NT to hunt them.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles GW! Fine catches!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Two very nice Sakos, the stock on that 461 is off the charts!

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, what is the origin of the stock on the top rifle, I like the stock
Profile on it very much. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you know who the stockmaker was? Whoever, it looks like he didn't just buy his lumber at the local Home Depot.

A couple of years ago I lucked into a custom L461 in .221 Fireball with a stock almost as nice as your .223. It's always nice when someone else shells out the money for the custom work and waits the months on end for the result, then you reap the benefit years later.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the Saxet GS earlier this month and met a vendor there from Webster, TX. Who claimed he had 500 SAKOs at one time ---he said he is douwn to approx 300 -- His goal is about 75. He may have had 10 on his table.
Non of them were as nice as yours

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweet little rifles.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That little .222 Mag is the prettiest Sako I've ever seen and there are a lot of pretty ones.

one of us
Picture of befus
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, love the Mannlicher...........

befus

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geebubya,

Does the custom 222 Magnum have a custom trigger and bolt handle?

Nice wood!!

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Nice knife as well. Randall?

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

I could not answer you as to the custom trigger as I've not yet taken the rifle apart. The bolt handle has been chromed as you can see in the picture that follows. A friend pointed this rifle as well as the Mannlicher. They were listed on Gunbroker by different sellers. I liked what I saw, e-mailed the owners and ended up being the high bidder. If you know the history of this rifle I'd love to hear about it.

Dave,

The knife that is in the picture with the Sakos was made years ago by a knifemaker out of Oklahoma by the name of Ricky Bob Menefee. His sig. "Menefee Made" is imprinted on all his knives. A while back we struck up an acquaintance and he asked if I would like to own one of his knives..............

Anywho, RB calls it a "Stick Tang". He is in the process of making me a Randall style fighter. I've seen the blade and the scales and bolsters. Will have to wait on the finished product a while longer. I tell him not to rush.

Perhaps you’ve hear the old joke about the cowboy and the lesbian.

Seems this ol’ cowpoke was getting up in years and had come into town on a Friday afternoon somewhat early. He’d stopped at the local watering hole and was sitting at the bar nursing a beer. Next thing he notes looking at the mirror over the bar in front of him is this woman. He figures she’s in her late twenties. She is definitely out of place. She has on skin tight spandex, and a crop top and four inch heels. All is black. She sits down on the stool next to the cowboy, smiles and tells the bartender she wants a tequila shot and a beer. After she orders she looks at the ol’ cowboy and asks. Are you a cowboy.
Well the old fellow looks at her, smiles, as he is used to city folk passing through asking this same question. He tells her, ma’am, I get up in the morning, have toast and coffee, saddle my horse and climb on. I ride most all day checking the fences, looking for stray cows. I round em’ up, I brand em’, I look for them when they are lost. I break bronc when it’s necessary. Been doing that for near on 45 year.
Well, sez the woman. I’m a lesbian. I get up in the morning thinking about women. I spend my day thinking about women. I think about women till I go to bed. She shoots her shot, downs her beer, then gets up and leaves. A few minutes later another person sits down next to the cowboy, and proceeds to ask, “Are you a cowboy. The old fellow looks at the newcomer and says. You know, all my life I thought I was a cowboy. I just found out I was a lesbian.

At the outset of our friendship I told him I was not a collector, rather a user. Well I found out diffeent............

I'm not sure how many of his knives I have, well over a dozen now.

Best,

GWB

PS: The knife on the right (the one with honey colored micarta) beside the semi-skinner is kinda special. Seems Rick had a piece of petrified Walrus penis. He use a bit of it and inlaid that shield. He said he had just enough of that Micarta left to do one more knife, then there was no more.

I call it my "blue streak Walrus dick boner"

Life is good when an ol' man like me can get a "boner" whenever he wants. LOL

one of us
posted Hide Post
GW,

Nope....I don't have any specific on your custom 222Mag Sako. I just happened to notice a few things.....like the trigger. Older factory Sako triggers had a "surface ground" finish on the trigger lever sides.

You'll know more, when you remove the barrelled action from the stock. Perhaps the custom gunsmith's signature is somewhere inside.

Oddly enough, I've recently bought a custom Sako......also in 222Mag. But, I haven't found the maker's signature yet. Maybe it's under the trap-door buttplate.....but it's so closely fitted, I hesitate to look.

Kevin

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote