THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Overly Pleased With My Marlin 917-VS (.17 HMR)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overly Pleased With My Marlin 917-VS (.17 HMR)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dawn2Dusk
posted
To say that I'm pleased with the accuracy of my Factory Marlin 917-VS .17 HMR would be an understatement.

Here's a group, "5" shots, at 50 yards... Don't know where one of them landed but it zipped through one of the already placed shots... Took my best guess as to the smear of lead/jacket on the holes as to where one shot fell...

Another of the same group, just with a ballpoint pen for size reference...

and here's a "5" shot group shot at 100 yards... Only 4 holes, one zipped through an already existing hole on this target as well... Sighted in 1" high @ 100 yards...

--------------------------

"D2D"

Shot Placement Is What It's About... Good Hunting To All...

Posts: 37 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dawn2Dusk: Congratulations on the great shooting and the great shooting Rifle there!
The most accurate 22 Magnum I have ever owned (and I have owned a LOT of them!) was a bolt action Marlin! I believe it is a Model 617 - its a bolt action blued model with a tubular magazine anyway.
Your shooting is possible with the aid of the 17 HMR cartridge itself!
The 17 HMR is simply the most accurate rimfire cartridge around!
ESPECIALLY, once a shooter is trying to make small groups out at 100 yards and beyond!
By the way I did some "figgurin" and I took a measurement off of my computer screen of your 100 yard group and the target itself! If your squares on the 100 yard target are 1" squares then I measured the squares on my screen which = 2 1/2". Then I measured your group on the computer screen which = 1 1/4"! I extrapolated (divided that 1.250" by 2.5) and came up with a group measurement for your 100 yard shooting of 0.500"! The four best shots of your group measure around 0.300" judged from my "figgurin"!
That is fantastic shooting for ANY Rifle - let alone a RIMFIRE!
Again good for you and your Marlin!
Long live the 17 HMR!
By the way let me know if you have actually measured your groups more accurately than my extrapolations have come up with. I would be curious to know your actual measurements!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dawn2Dusk
posted Hide Post
I've got the target at home and I'll mic it out this afternoon to see what I come up with. The target is a standard run of the mill Remington target and yes the green squares are 1" blocks laid off.

I'll find out tonight what the size of the actual group is and post the figure up tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliments...

"D2D"

One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
I wish mine (Me?) shot like that. I have given up trying to get it below 1 1/2". My old Mossy Chuckster .22 mag beats it every time, with a lesser scope at half the price of the ammo. Nice shootin'. Wanna trade?

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dawn2Dusk
posted Hide Post
Naw - Joe, I'd best be hangin' on to this one...

VG-I mic'ed out the group last night and the 100 yard group, with only using 4 holes b/c that's all I can use it measures .282"

"D2D"

One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I was up to the range last night shooting my HB Marlin 17 and with three different bullets, (17 vmax, 20 grain and 17 TNT) all loads went between 3/8 - 1/2" at 50 yards 5 shot groups shooting with rear bag and bipod. Groups with the vmaxes usually go 1/2-3/4" at 100. Best rifle, trigger around for such little funds.

I wish my groups were that good with my 45 acp Sig 220, LOL.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dawn2Dusk
posted Hide Post
10 shot group in "FOAM" paper at 50 yards... The blue dot is a "dime's circumfrence" outlined and then filled in...

"D2D"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like they let a good one escape from the factory Wink

Good shooting!

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote