THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5x257 thanks for the knowlege,now about the 140gr.??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x257 thanks for the knowlege,now about the 140gr.??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Frist off ,thanks to all who answered my last post,the info was usefull.I was afraid I had reached the peak with the 160gr.bullet but wasnt sure without data.I usualy use the big heavys (as i call them)when I'm in heavy cover.
I am a huge fan of the 140gr bullets for any and everything else,groundhogs to deer.but my load data must be a typo or something.according to my info my load is max+1/2gr. 43.5 gr.IMR4831 .
the very same load I worked up to with a 160gr bullet...This can not be.
(kicker) no scope adjustment needed at 100yds.Two diff.bullet weights same hole(occasionaly,off a bench),but usualy within a 1/8th".
This is a colundrum to me.Should I just count my blessings or what???tell me what you think,thanks.

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOu won't find me complaining or trying to figure out why, when something works right or conveniently....

sooner or later, I may be interested in why...

But that is the things I think about when taking a nice lower hot shower on a cold day, after spending half the day or more outside in the cold...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks seafire. I purchased a new manual today.
according to it,my 140gr.loads are weak.mid line at best.I was positive I could push a 140gr. bullet near or slightly over 3000fps. now I know...thanks again

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Watch your pressures, just because "the book" says it can be done doesn't mean your rifle will allow it. I have a 7x57 that according to "the book" is running 3 grains under max, but the primer pockets are so badly expanded the new primers fall out. Obviously I backed off the load. So watch your pressure signs as the load manuals are not gospel they are guidelines.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny thing! I load my 264 Win Mag with 140 Sierras and also the Hornady 160s. I use the same load of H-870 for both! I also see the two DIFFERENT bullets are only 2-3 apart at 200 yds......Go figure.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote