New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25-06 sucks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Six Namibian Springbok is testimony enough that the 25-06 is spectacular!
If the 25-06 isn't the perfect Springbok getter, I don't know what is.

All were taken in the 300 yard range from a Colt/Sauer using the discontinued Barnes X (moly coated) 85 grain over 63 grains AA MagPro. Sighted 3 inches high at 100 gives dead on at 300. All but one dropped in its tracks. I didn't dope the 20 to 30 mph wind correctly and shot the other in the neck and had to track it a great distance where it finally lay dead. These critters can sprint miles until their blood is gone.

FYI, I've never had much luck accuracywise with either 117 or 120 grain bullets in this Colt/Sauer or a Rem 700 sporter. 85 grain to 115 grain yields great hunting groups. Maybe it's the rifling twist rate?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Ever since Jack O'Conner the .270 has enjoyed a reputation that it doesn't deserve. It is fine. It works. It's no better than a .25-06, and is lacking when it comes to on game performance on bigger animals. In all reality it is another middle weight, middle performer. It is just like the '06, .280, .308, ect.

I have no love lost on the .270 and several other middle ground cartridges. I even have a couple in my possesion just in case I need a rifle to lone out, or something goes wrong with one I really like. My safe is more like a toolbox to me. There are tools that are made for a job, and then there are tools that you could use to get it done if you need to.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If i was you i would get a .270 in rem 700 no offence to the 25-06 but a .270 shoots just as flat goes just as fast but has quite a bit more big game stopping power and is alot more popular.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal Sibley,

Maybe in Canada it isn't very popular but here in the western U. S. it's very popular as one of the very best deer and antelope cartridges made today. Still a great seller. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sucks? No way.

Performs as good as any .270 I've seen when comparing similar bullets and game. Recoil is light too.

I wore out a factory 25/06 barrel on a Rem 700 and then put a Douglass stainless barrel on it still in 25/06. Kills deer like lightning for me.

I like the Sierra 120 HPBT over H4831SC and for really tight groups, try the Sierra 100 Matchking over H4350.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Shame on you!!!

I beleive that the 25-06 belongs and should have a place reserved in everyones gunsafe. I have shot more critters (Deer, antelope, rockchucks, ground hogs, fox, yotes...The list go's on!) with my Rem. 700 25-06 than I care to count.

25-06 sucks! You should receive 25 lashings for that statement.

Ben

Ben WHO??? said the .25/'06 sucks?? Not me!!