Find
Notify
Tools

Prodcution rifle question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
My son is in the market for a new rifle. He is looking for something light recoil, but different. Not different enough that we HAVE to reload. Would like to rely on factory ammo, but like I said,,,, different.

So, a couple choices he has pondered are 257 Roberts, 6mm, and 7x57. I know there is not a huge selection of factory ammo for these, but there is enough for reasonable choices.

So, my question is who make factory production guns in these calibers. Ruger makes the 257 in a bolt, and the other two in the #1. I cant seem to find any others.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
My .257 Roberts is an older M77 and I love it! It has been one of the rifles I have been very happy with and have used a lot. Factory Hornady ammo is tough to beat without handloading.
Winchester had some M70 available but you'd have to shop around. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
If your looking for something different the remington modle 7600 pump comes to mind. I probally wouldent have thought much about them but a while back my dad had to switch to shooting left handed after an eye operation. After shooting his i liked it so much i had to have one too.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Try a 260

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
How about a 7-08?

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest a .260 Remington for first rifle, after that 7x57mm or 7mm-08. My first was a 7x57mm, but that was 40 years ago.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta jump on the wagon here. I too would look really hard at a 260 Remington. Mild recoil. Excellent choice of bullets. My 260 with 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips is a deer killing machine!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a 25 WSSM

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The .257 Roberts is tough to beat, nostalgic and a performer on deer and antelope. I have a Ruger MK II ultra light in .257 Roberts and with the right loads shoots little bitty groups (5/8"). I recently acquired a 6.5x55 Swede that seems to be a real performer too. Both of these have been available from Winchester and Ruger in a few different rifles.
Good luck!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

He has been doing a lot of reading lately, in particular some O'Connor stuff, so he is hooked a little on the older round options.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote