THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .221 Fireball fans, a question....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.221 Fireball fans, a question....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I loaded a few rounds with the 40 VMax and 40 Barnes VLC, both over 15.5 of Lil-Gun.

I noticed that 15.5 of Lil-Gun does not occupy much boiler room, even in this small case. Maybe 50% or so.

My question is, has anyone noticed any problems with Lil-Gun attributable to the light load density? In larger cartridges, light load density can cause problems...is it an issue with this powder in this cartridge??

Thanks,
BigIron

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe 15.5gr of LilGun is considerably more than 50% capacity; irregardless, my loads with 16.0gr shoot great. Cannot recall the velocity spread, but would remember if it was bad. Velocity is usually above what the data states; another nice surprise.
I know they're extruded, but it is difficult to get 20-21gr of H322 or RL7 in a Fireball case, and my loads of AA1680 (18.0gr) comes almost to the neck. Have fun with the LilGun; it seems made for the Fireball!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote