THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best 80-90gr bullet for paper in 6mm

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 80-90gr bullet for paper in 6mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a bullet for my .243. I will shoot paper exclusively. I want a mid weight bullet for targets at ranges from 100-450 yds. I'm thinking an 85 grain bullet, but would consider something else if you've had really exceptional results with it. Right now I'm considering the Speer 85 gr BTSP, Sierra 85 gr BTSP, Nosler 80 gr BT, or Hornady 87 gr V Max. BC is a factor due to some of the longer ranges.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Elkhunter.

Take a look at Lapua scenar 90 gr HPBT, Berger Match 6mm 90 gr BT or Berger Match 6mm 88 gr LD

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Berger makes an awesome 80 grain flat base as well, and considering the relative short ranges, the 75 V-Max and the 70 Nosler BT would also qualify as very usable bullets.

My 2 cents.

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had great accuracy and flat shooting from the Nosler 90 grain Ballistic tip... but for cheap and great performance.. I have also experienced the same from the Speer 90 grain SP...

Any of the Berger match bullets do a great job... Google up there website, and you will see they must make about a million different bullets in just 6mm...

I do real long ranging with their 115 grain Match bullet in a 6mm Rem Long Action...with a one in 7.5 twist...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I forgot to metnion is my twisit rate. I have a Savage with a 1:9.25" twist. This should work well with most of the 90 gr stuff.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the Remington bulk bullet. It may surprise you and it costs much less than those by other mfgs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Nosler Ballistic Tip 70 grain extensively and it is the most accurate bullet in both a .243 HB and .244 HB. I just recently picked up a .244 sporter with a 1-11" twist that shoots the 90 grain Ballistic Tip well. It's rare to find a gun that doesn't shoot the B.T. well, so it would be my recommendation in either the 80 or 90 bullet. Sierra's 80 grain BTSP has also done well for me. It's some bit cheaper, so you might give it a try. BTW, Sierra's 70 grain Blitzking shoots and acts identical to the Nosler B.Tip in my guns, however they don't make it any heavier than 70 grains. Too bad.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
I've used the Hornady 87 gr. BTHP (2442) almost exclusively ($4 cheaper than the V-Max per box!), but have yet to try the new 87 V-Max. The regular 87 gr. BTHP shoots great in all of my 6mm rifles (well except for the PPC with it's 1/13.25" twist Wink ).

I bet the V-Max is just more of a good thing!!!

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my old standby is the sierra 85 gr hpbt - if the gun doesn't shoot that well i get rid of the gun

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
The 90grs Lapua Scenar is a excellent medium to long range bullet, I use it a lot in my 6mmBR, the Berger 80 FB is also a good choice out to 200-300 yards.

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote