Find
Notify
Tools

Twist Rate in 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
My Ruger has a 1 in 14" twist rate. It seems to not like 55 grainers but loves the 45s. is this considered a slow rate? does this sound right?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, almost all factory rifles come with the 1 in 14" twist. Most will shoot up to 50 grainers the best but hate 55s and up like mine.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My CZ-550 varmint is a 1:14 like yours and it loves 52 gr. Matchkings with RL10x. Everything else from 40 gr. to 55 gr. shoots ok, but not like the MK's.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Model 700 AdL has 1-14" twist. And it will shoot 55 grain bullets with excellent accuracy.
Ten shots @ 100 yards all covered by a dime.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot nothing but 55gr.If your 1 in 14 does not shoot 55 gr then you need to look at a different bullet, load 10thou into the lands, and perhaps partial outside neck ream, use a powder that fills the case.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
Mine loves 50's but wont do anything with 55's, I think its common to be honest. Should work on paper but doesent in reality in some rifles.

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
My old Win 70 rebarreled with a 1:14 Douglas premium likes to split the difference and digest the 52 gr. Best 5 shot group to date?

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
I've owned a bunch of .22 centerfires(presently 5) over the years, all with 1-14 twist and every last one would shoot 55's extremely well. If yours wont i'd look at the bedding, crown,etc.I suppose there are exceptions, but not in my experience.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Young:
My old Win 70 rebarreled with a 1:14 Douglas premium likes to split the difference and digest the 52 gr. Best 5 shot group to date?

Nice shooting Joe.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 14 twist is more than "fast" enough to stabilize 55 gr bullets with a 22/250. The very first item to look at with your rifle is the crown. A less than perfect crown will cause a decrease in accuracy as the ballistic coeficient of the bullet increases. Anything that can induce "wobble" to a bullet is magnified by the length and shape of the bullet. As alresdy suggested a different load, seating depth etc. should also be attempted.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've also had a number of .224 cal. rifles with 1-14" twist. Some would shoot 55grainers and some would not. On my current .22-250, I had a new .223 take-off barrel with a 1-12 twist. Had it rechambered to .22-250 and put on my std bolt-face short-actioned 700. It shoots 55 and 60 gr bullets just fine. Luck of the draw? Correct twist? Don't know, but since I want to shoot the heavier bullets in the '250, I'll stick with that 1-12 twist. Just my .02.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've got a Savage .22-250 with 1:12 twist. It shoots 60 grain spitzers well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
I've got a Savage .22-250 with 1:12 twist. It shoots 60 grain spitzers well.

Yeah, mine (Savage w/ 1:12 twist)really likes the Win 64 gr power points...will shoot them into tiny groups when I do my part. thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
i think that my problem is in factory loaded ammo. i have always been extremely satisfied with hornady ammo in my 308. But maybe the 22-250 doesnt like it. I am about to get back into reloading. I had a setup about a year ago that i sold because i didnt shoot enough to justify reloading. But now shooting $14 a box small bores is getting a little old. If anyone has any good loads please send them my way so i can experiment

Thanks

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote