Find
Notify
Tools

22/250 and 1:9 twist
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I just put together a nice varmint 22/250 on a push feed m70 action. I used a Shilen barrel in 1:9 twist. My origonol plan was to use a 1:12 but somehow when I ordered the barrel I clicked the 1:9 which was just above the 1:12 and did realize until after the work was already done.

I have zero experience with the 22/250 so I am not sure how this will affect my accuracy. I had planned on shooting 45gr bullets pushing 4000 fps and 55gr bullets pushing 3700 fps. Will the 1:9 be too fast a twist for these loads?

Any suggestions or loads that have worked in your 1:9 22/250 barrels I would love to hear about.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should check out the post to my question "22-250 fast twist and starting loads" answered by seafire/B17G. Should have been on or about 12/5/2006. My 22-250 is a 8 twist and I have fired 55gr noslers but never worked up a load, just fired what I had on hand. I had a fast twist built because I have 69,77,80 grain bullets on hand for Highpower cometition. They will never go as fast but the high BC should help in the wind. Right now I like imr 4064 and the 75 gr. A-max

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 22-250s with 1 in 9" twist barrels and like them a lot. I'm shooting 55 grain BTs and 60 grain Partitions in them, a Savage 11 and a Remington 788. If you try to shoot lighter thin jacket bullets at maximum speed, the twist might be so quick that the bullets come apart during flight. I have seen that happen with 40 grain bullets in combination with a quick twist 22-6mm. For windy country shooting, you'll be glad that you have the heavier bullet option.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just keep away from the more fragile bullets... like skip the SPSX Hornadys, unless you download them dramatically...

Speers TNT in 55 grains should be okay, but it may vaporize the 50 grain TNT..

Regular 50 grain SPs, 55 grain SPs, the 60 grainers and up should be just fine...

Mine has a one in 8 twist, and the Sierra 40 grain HP, the Nosler 40 grainers, and the Sierra Blitzkings seem to work just fine in mine.. even when I rocket them out of there..

A few 40 grain V Maxes have gone "poof" out of the barrel.. but back off your velocity, and you should be fine...

I would say, that clicking the wrong twist when ordering your barrel was a blessing in disguise...

you give up being able to shoot a few fragile bullets and then add the ability to shoot a lot of the longer bullets, and match bullets.. all the way thru the 80 grainers...

The only bullet I can't get to shoot well is the 60 grain Partition.. in any of my 22.250s!

I'd say you have done well Pilgrim!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I have a few thousand of the Winchester 55gr SP and HP that I picked up a few years ago when Midway was selling them in a clearance sale for $4/100. They shoot sub MOA in my 223's and I am hoping to get the same accuracy from them in this new 22/250.

After reading that you all have had great success with the faster twists and 45-55 gr bullets I am not worried about my barrel selection now.

I hope to have it up and shooting in a couple weeks. Once I get the stock bedded it will be off to get blued. But I may have to give it a try at the range before I send it off for bluing.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
IMR has a new powder out for the 22-250 called IMR 4007, I picked up a can the other day, its got a load listed at nearly 4kfps for a 50 grn bullet. I am gonna load up some behind a 50 berger and see if I can get a smokin yote load going. ballistically speaking IMO a 50 grn bullet makes the most since in a 22-250, its got the weight to carry the energy but its light enough to have a lazer flat trajectory out to 325yards or so. that 9 twist might be cool to try some heavies out of it check out JLK bullets depending on how long you can seat them out.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
My son shoots a Krieger barrel in 22/250 on his Ruger No1V. It is a 1:7.75" twist. It shoots the 75gr A-max and 80gr Sierra bullets into sub 1/3moa all day long out past 600 yards.

With Winchester white box 45gr HP's it still shoots into 3/4moa in this Jim Kobe built rifle. We have yet to have a bullet not make it to the target (prairie dogs).

In my experience the fast twist won't shoot light bullets is an unproven myth. But I could be wrong...

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote