New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope mounts on savage 99
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning on scoping up my old Savage Model 99 (.300 Savage). Do you guys have any suggestions on mounts. My dad just did his, but it has a clunky one piece mount. I have seen pics in books of two piece mounts but I don't know who makes them.

any help is appreciated.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
My dad has the same gun. I'm pretty sure it's a weaver 2 pieces scope mounts. 300 savage in the Model 99 is a great combo !!

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine has Weaver two piece mounts. The only other choice that I'm aware of is the Leupold one piece and it does look clunky. Go with the Weavers.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Dad, he is right again...A Redfield short one piece base and the older Rings are perfect on a Sav. M-99...they also stiffen the action and can have a peep sight that flips up. They have windage adjustment and can be bought at gun shows for about $10.00 for base and 20 for rings.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson, please describe the flip up peep sight. Is it on the receiver or barrel or what? Thanks.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not touch a Redfield mount with an 11 foot pole. Too many soft screws means that recoil will make the screws open up and the scope will come loose.

I have had Weaver mounts on a 99F in .358 Win since 1966 and they have never needed to be touched.

Most 99's have nice sights on them now. Tip off the Weaver mounts and you can use the factory sights.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one piece mount is a little stiffer as Ray has pointed out. The biggest problem with the one piece base is when they are on the older 99's with the rotary magazines.The base compromises space and makes loading awkward in cold weather especially if you have fat fingers. This is not a problem on the 99C model.For that reason I've prefered the 2 piece Weaver base. I've run hundreds of rounds through one of the original 99 featherweights in 358 and have never had a problem with the scope or bases.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weaver mounts have had several 99 and the one a have now has weaver mounts never had a bit of trouble with them.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote