New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .257" Bullet for deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks mr.big,I checked my hornady bullets,they are the same as yours #2560,don't know why I said bthp.I will check my fps with the 58 grs as soon as I get a chance,and will work up to the 59.5 gr load to to see if a little more powder makes a difference.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
be easy 58.5 is max in the manual.my throat is long and the bullet is seated way out.I made it up to 60.5 but the groups were best at 59.5.

SPEED KILLS

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are there stability issues witht he 115-120gr class bullets?. Some where I have a table of recommended twist for various bullet weights in various calibers. It indicates for the 1 in 10" twist you don't want over a 100 grain bullet.

john

Posts: 54 | Location: Missoula, MT | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with stability using 117-120 gr bullets. Seven 25 cal rifles in various calibers starting in 1964...all had 10 inch twists.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed several whitetails with the 257 Roberts & the Hornady 120 HP loaded to 3000 fps....All died within a few inches to a few feet of where they stood when shot.....of course it helps to be within 100 yards and shoot them in the lungs, too, I suppose.....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
some earlt 250 Savages and Weatherbys had 12`s and wouldnt shoot the 120`s,a 10 will handle any .257 bullet

SPEED KILLS

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Jorge-
I have used premium bullets (120 Swift A-Frame and 100 gr NP) and I am don't think they worked any better than the Hornady 100gr SP. The Barnes TSX would be interesting on Elk, but I haven't tried that yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Near or far I like the quick killing power of a plain old 100 grain Nosler Partition

NRA Life member and I vote.
NAHC Life member

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried the 120 using a 4-shot group Tues @300 yds was going to try a 5-shot but between my house and the range I had lost one of them.Below is the 4-shot target which measured 1.076in.This is the 5th group in a row that has been one inch or less,the first four was with different bullets loads and shooters.For a factory rife I think it shoots exceptionally well.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes X 100 and H4831SC. A rancher/guide called them "guided missles" because of their performance. And the TSX should only be better.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elkhunter,
I shoot 100gr.Sierra flat base spitzers and as others have stated, they work well. Been using them since the late 60's, early 70's without a failure of any kind. The rifles are a .257 Roberts, and two .257 Ackley Improveds, the results have always been the same, vertical to horizontal, right now.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote