New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was at a local gunshow this weekend and a guy had a nib remington model 700 cdl stainless fluted 257roberts. Beautiful gun! I tried to deal with him but he was set on his $950 price tag and did not want to trade. Probably be mad at myself for not buying it.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three (none for sale!) and use them regularly. One is a pre 64 model 70. One is a rebarreled Winchester CRF FWT (most accurate) and the other is one of the first .257 Winchester FWT in push feed. You might consider a used .257, they are superb shooters!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willimon, I know what you mean. I was at the same show on Sat. and a guy had a real nice 700 mountain in 257 Roberts; the one before they started putting the detachable clip in; for $700.00. It wasn't mint, but was very close. I was going to try to deal with him but made the mistake of waiting about 30 min. too long while I made the 1st round. I've still got cramps in my leg from kicking myself in the ass about that one. Friend that went to the lake has no idea about the one that got away. jp

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No flies on the 257 Roberts.
I have four of them.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jfromswk I know the one you were talking about I seen it, but came back around and gone! Not a bad show though

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is the limited edition one that comes out each year. I have seen a couple on gunbroker for about that price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 700 CDL SF in 257 Roberts is a limited run in 2009 and the wholesale price isn't all that much less, around $890 to the small dealers.

The old 700 Mountain Rifles are probably 1 of the nicest factory 257 Roberts rifles and they don't come up for sale too often, as they are such a nice match of cartridge and rifle. The Kimber Montana is going to be chambered in 257 Roberts and that might be a pretty nice package too.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had similar experiences twice at gun shows. My solution was to buy a Stevens 200 in 25/06 and had my smith set the barrel back and re-chamber to 257 Roberts. After all is said and done it shoots like a Savage. I put a Nikon 3X9 on it, put a SSS trigger in and still am under gun show prices by $200. It's my go-to walkaround rifle.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The old 700 Mountain Rifles are probably 1 of the nicest factory 257 Roberts rifles and they don't come up for sale too often, as they are such a nice match of cartridge and rifle. Jeff

Yep, the 700 Mountain rifle is one of the four that I have. Also have a 722, a custom 700 SA and a Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 700 Mountain Rifle in the .257 Roberts is IMHO, one of the best combinations of rifle and cartridge ever built. I think $700 for the Mountain Rifle versus $950 for the CDL SF is a no-brainer, I'll take the Mountain Rifle every time. Not to say the CDL SF isn't a nice rifle, but it isn't a Mountain Rifle. The Kimber 84M, in the .257 Roberts, now that is a different story! Big Grin

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I am not a dyed in the wool ruger fan, I have the ruger hawkeye in the 257 roberts. Have it loaded with 110 gr accubonds. Neat little rifle 22" barrel, slim, trim and a joy to handle. Trigger a little heavier than I like, but that can be easily cured. It can be had in the $600 range.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a NIB 700 Mountain rifle in 257 Roberts currently (as of 022409) on GB that ends on 02/27/09.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you it would be a mistake not to include the FN Mauser in your search. They are significantly heavier then their new counterparts, but they were made in an era when craftsmanship still counted for something. I have never seen one that wouldn't shoot well, and the barrels are heavy enough to get off more than 2 or 3 rounds before walking if one is a varmint hunter. They can still be found in the $500- range which is less than half the price a custom rig would cost. I have 5 of them and remain convinced that no other rifle in their price range measures up in quality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 257 Mountain Rifle was built on a short action, no? Just asking, the pic on GB looks like a long action....thanks,

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willimon1:
I was at a local gunshow this weekend and a guy had a nib remington model 700 cdl stainless fluted 257roberts. Beautiful gun! I tried to deal with him but he was set on his $950 price tag and did not want to trade. Probably be mad at myself for not buying it.

I just saw a really nice one...

The guy was at the gunsmith picking one up.
He used a Rem700Ti 30-06 Long action receiver and had it rebarreled to 257Rob with a fluted Lilja 3groove tube, I didn't recognize the stock (and forgot to ask) but it was a crinkle finish stock that looked an awful lot like the McMillan stock my brother has on his 338Mag M70.

Looked like a real sweet peice, but personally I'd have built it in 25-06, frankly because I've owned 25-06's before and already have dies, etc...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I've read where the 257 Roberts is at it's best in a long action!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray: Yep, opinions differ Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
The 257 Mountain Rifle was built on a short action, no? Just asking, the pic on GB looks like a long action....thanks,

My new Ruger .257 Hawkeye is a long action.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
Hide Post

My new Ruger .257 Hawkeye is a long action.

thanks, wymple, that's what I thought...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that all of Remington's 722 and 700 series rifles factory chambered in 257 Roberts have been short actions. There has been some question about the 700 Classics being long actions, but I don't know, 'cause I've never owned 1. The factory specs 700 ADL, 700 BDL, and 700 Mountain Rifles that I've owned in 257 Roberts have all been built on short action.

Conversely, all of the Rugers that I've seen/owned in 257 Roberts; 77R, 77RL, and 77RSI have all been built on long actions.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1982 M700 classics were long action, but I believe you are correct that all the other Rem's were on short actions.

Just looked like the rifle in the pic on GB was a long action, but it was probably just a pic of a typical Mountain Rifle and not the exact rifle for sale.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Roberts is one if my favorite rounds.
I have a Ruger RL and a custom springfield.
I also have a side safty FN in the Roberts improved.
Today I saw an interesting Roberts, how about a BLR. It has me thinking.
But I don't know if I want it or not. 600.00 was the asking price.
I wll post a few questions on the lever board.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how long is the magazine in the new short action Remington .257 roberts? I am considering a Kimber montana in 257 roberts, the Remington is about the same price. A longer magazine would make me look real hard at the Remington.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experiences and have decided the seller is a fool.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote