New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 BR experiences?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody have any experience with the 22 BR?

I have a barrelled action in 220 Swift A.I. that I have no use for. Tried selling the barrel, but apparently nobody else had a use for it either. Smiler

I looked at my options for redoing this setup, and pretty much decided that with a 22 caliber barrel, and a .473 bolt face, I had my choice of the 22 BR, 22-250, and 220 Swift. (I'm not much for wildcats... Yeah, the 22 BR might be considered "almost" a wildcat, but I'm not up for anything that I can't "almost" get brass for, and with only one pass through to size the neck.) For me, simpler is usually better.

Anyway, I already have a couple 22-250's, have no interest in a Swift, and I picked up a 22 BR reamer a while back. So, my choice right now is the 22 BR.

Does anyone have any good reason not to go with it? Any positive or negative feedback?

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I shoot all the time with a friend's 22 Br on a Rem 700 short action. The rifle is a .30 tack driver but feeding absolutely sucks. The round is too short unless you spend some dough modifying the magazine.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate-

Thanks for the response.

Feeding is not much of an issue in my case. I'll be using it for groundhogs and informal paper shooting. I don't actually see me even putting one in the magazine...

However, thanks for the heads up, in case I ever do need to "load up"! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
You will probably have the same concerns with the .22 BR as I have with the 6BR. My first concern was whether to mess with turning necks. I decide to skip that and made the appropriate dimension changes when I specified the chamber reamer. I had already decided to use Lapua brass and this also influenced the chamber dimensions. I also went with essentially zero head space when I chambered the barrel. I really like the BR size case. I get all the velocity I want with a small amount of powder. You can get a single shot adapter for your rifle that will fit on top of the follower to make single loading a bit easier if you don't have a controlled round feed action.

I found the little case to be more than adequate and sold both a 243 and a 6mm/06 since I was no longer using them. Enjoy the 22 BR.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a great cartridge. You'll love it. When it starts to out perform your 22-250's, you'll kick yourself for not getting one earlier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Going to date myself. First started with the 22br 20 yrs ago back then you could get 22-250 velocity with appr 10gr of powder less. Didn't have norma brass just rem case and best were the 7br case. Bought a lifetime supply so still using them. I had to go to a 22-250AI because of the 22br.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like it's everyone for, nobody against, so the project proceeds. Smiler

This is another case of false economy. I saved a few bucks on a reamer a couple years ago, but now the $20 or so that I saved is coming back in the form of having to buy yet another set of dies, new brass, etc. But at least I'm "recycling" a barrel this time, or I'd be out a few hundred more, all to "save" $20! Big Grin

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

posted Hide Post
My .22BR is a Remington Custom Shop XP-100 with 15" barrel. One of my most accurate varmint guns and a real pleasure to shoot. H-322 is the favorite powder, pushing 52 grain bullets at about 3200 fps.
You'll really love this cartridge!

Posts: 7 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IHMSA-

Thanks for the info!

Luckily, I've got a good supply of H322 on hand, as I load it in my 222's.

I've got some brass on the way, just need to order some dies, and I'm set.

Looks like the project is a go! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore, If your experience w/ the 22 BR is anything like mine, you're going to enjoy it DEARLY. Big Grin My 22 BR looks a like like IHMSA (yours is a fine looking gun, IHMSA. Wink) Mine started life as a center grip XP-100 in 223, but was customized w/ a Hart Match barrel (14"), tight neck, and McMillan synthetic stock. Consistently, it's most accurate load is the Sierra 50 gr Blitz bullet in Rem 6 BR brass using a 7 1/2 primer and VV 130 powder at 3300 fps. W/ a 10X IER scope, I know that any 3 shot group at 100 yds that's greater than 1/2" is a foul up---by me... Eeker Now I'm not the world's most accurate shot, but this gun makes me look pretty good sometimes. WinkIt shoots a number of bullets/powders w/ great accuracy. IHMSA's H322 also worked very well, but the VV powder has much less muzzle blast to my ears than all other powders I tested. The VV powder also pushes the 40 gr plastic bullets 3650 fps comfortably. I've got some Lapua brass, but haven't had a chance to work up loads w/ it yet. Was not impressed w/ the quality of Rem brass when I bought my only batch about 10 years ago. Couldn't find the Lapua then. I use the excellent Redding dies. Had a problem necking the brass down w/ the Forster dies I originally bought. The gunsmith, Clarence Holland, later said he didn't like the Forster dies and rec'd the Redding dies. Confused Gary T.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ColdBore,
I've been using a .22 BR for several years and I like it a lot...When I read your post, I thought I might share a few thought with you: First, As you know, you can't buy .22 BR brass so you have to make it from either 6 BR or 7BR Rem. or Lapua. There are at least a couple of different versions out there. One has an overall case length of 1.520, which means you have to first neck it down to .22 cal. and then trim about .040 off the neck. If you are going to develop a lot of brass for it, this could be a pain in the ass...My suggestion would be to have a reamer made that allows you to use the brass with the full length neck AND, make the reamer about .002 to .003 larger than the outside of the neck with a bullet seated..That way, you won't have to turn necks....The Lapua brass is thicker (about .002) than Rem. brass so 2 different bushing sizes would be needed if you use both. I like Lapua Brass but the Rem. brass is probably the best brass that Rem. makes and I use it. Its cheaper and you are probably going to loose a few cases when you are necking it down...I like stable powders and Have found that H-322 w/50 gr. bullets is very accurate and gives me about 3750 fps from a 24" barrel.....If I can help anymore, please feel free to let me know......George

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore: I have two factory stock Remington 40X's in caliber 22 Remington Bench Rest! I love them!
One is a wood stock model (40XB-BR) and the other has the factory green kevlar stock (40XBBR-KS).
They both shoot amazingly well and they are set up with Varmint scopes and shoot Varmint bullets. I have shot some amazingly small 5 shot groups at 100 yards with both of them!
I think the 22 Remington Bench rest cartridge is one of the top 5 all around Varmint calibers ever made!
Brass life for the 22 BR is apparently infinite as I have not had to replace any of my brass as yet!
Use enough scope power on your rig and I am sure you will be impressed with the accuracy from it!
Best of luck on your project!
Long live the 22 BR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys! Smiler

The dies showed up today, just waiting on the brass, and I'll be in business.

From everybody's experiences here, I'm sure looking forward to it!

Thanks again!