THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Heavier than 55grn bullets in a 1-14 22-250

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavier than 55grn bullets in a 1-14 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Most notably bullets such as the 64grn Winchester PP the 60grn partition, Will a STD twist 22-250 shoot em accurately.

I see that Winchester now loads the 64grn bullet in factory 22-250 ammo so I would assume the answer would be YES, but ya never know.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
never tried the Partition, but my 22-250 does pretty well with the 64gr PP, VERY well with the 63gr Sierra, and not too shabby with the 70gr Speer.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your barrel twist?

Must be pretty faster to handle those heavier bullets?

Am looking at getting Remington 700 LV SF, but may have to fit aftermarket (22-250, or 204) barrel as standard factory barrels would not seem to permit the use of heavier bullets which could be stabilised with factory barrel twists.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Shilen barrel website, whom I trust, the 14" twist barrel will stabilize bullets up to 55 grains. I consider the 1/12" twist as standard for this caliber and that rate of twist may or may not stabilize 64 grain bullets. A bullet of this weight that is shaped so that it has a longer bearing surface will need a faster twist as well as mono-metal bullets such as the Barnes X bullets.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holden: It is a Sako which has a 12" twist. FWIW my 225 Win, which has a 14" twist puts 63gr Sierras in one hole, but sprays the 64grPP into 4 or 5 inches!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I consider the 1/12" twist as standard for this caliber and that rate of twist may or may not stabilize 64 grain bullets.

A 1/12" twist will shoot 64grn PP bullets great All my .223's have loved em. But 22-250 rifles with anything other than a 1/14" are few and far between.

the added velocity of a 22-250 SHOULD add to the stabilization factor, but would it be enough

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three rifles chambered in 22-250. They all have 1 in 14 inch twists. They all pretty much give the same results with heavy bullets.

They all shoot the 60 grain Hornady Hollow Point quite well. They all shoot the 70 grain Speer well. (as does my .223 Remington with a 1 in 12 twist.) And, they all shoot 60 Nosler Partitions like crap!

I shot the factory WInchester 64 grain loads in my 223 WSSM and they shot as well as anything else. (Which was pretty dismal.) I do not remember the twist on that rifle, I was damned glad to be rid of it.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote