THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Remington 700 SPS bottom "metal" question

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 SPS bottom "metal" question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,

I recently acquired a Remington 700 SPS in .243 Win to use as a "beater". I mounted a Swarovski AV 4-12x50 on it with the BR reticle, worked up a few loads, and decided that 90-grain Scirocco's, 85-grain Sierra GameKings and 95-grain Ballistic Tips are pretty close to ideal as all of them tends to shoot within half an inch at 100 metres.

I love the rifle itself to bits as well, but I do have a question regarding the bottom "metal" (trigger guard/floorplate) that's made from some sort of synthetic material. Has anyone ever had these break or crack on their Remington SPS's? If so, is there a reasonably priced solid steel alternative available from somewhere?

(PS: I live in SA so I don't have access to quite the same variety of after-market Remington goodies as someone in the US will have, for instance).

Thanks!

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Are you absolutely sure it's plastic? I just bought a Remington SPS Varmint in .308 yesterday and the bottom metal on mine is aluminum. It has a thick matte black paint on it but it is aluminum under it like every other BDL I've ever owned.

Funny thing, I read your post this morning, got very concerned and went and looked at mine. I scratched the inside latch of the floorplate with a knife and it's shiny aluminum under the paint. Try that with yours and get back to us.

As to your question about them being fragaile. I have read a few stories about them breaking on the internet, but have never experienced it myself.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm reasonably certain that it's made from some sort of plastic but I will certainly check over the weekend.

Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 700 bottom metal has been made from cast aluminum since 1962 when the model was intro'd and is the same today. And, it was used on the Model 725 back to 1958. It is simply cast aluminum with various finishes used over the years like shiny black, silver, which is just the raw aluminum with a clear coating and matte which is simply a bead blasted black anodized finish.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless they do something different for export, all the SPS stateside are as mentioned aluminum with a heavy painted finish.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote