Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Weatherby Vanguards
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm not really a Weatherby guy, but have for years lusted after a .257 Weatherby. I'm trying to choose between the synthetic stocked Vanguard and and a synthetic stocked Remington 700, which is about $100 more. I trust Weatherby to get their cartridge right, and hear the Vanguards are generally very accurate. But the Vanguard stock puts me off, and makes the rifle awfully heavy for caliber. Anyone out there shoot either of these rifles, or restock the Vanguard with a lighter stock?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Vanguard 257 wby with a wood stock. The rifle is very accurate with my handloads. I'm quite happy with it, but it is definitely heavy.

Mine prefers Nosler BT's 115gr's with Re-22.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the vanguard 257 with wood stock. Gorgeous wood, but really heavy. Mine will be wearing a MM Edge or a Bansner next year. As is, the rifle is very accurate.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have a .257 Vanguard with the synthetic stock. I haven't done anything to the gun except smooth up the trigger with some minor honing of parts. I reload and my rifle is very accurate with a variety of hand loads. It shoots the 100 grain and 117 grain bullets exceptionally well. It shoots high velocity, medium velocity and low velocity rounds all very accurately. My only objection with my Vanguard is the factory trigger was not very smooth. Others have said theirs' were alright.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Oh, Red reminded me, I completely forgot that I swapped out the trigger on mine to a Timney. My trigger on my rifle was a piece of crap. It shoots so much better now, no creep and a glass rod breaking 3 lbs pull.

I know some guys have gotten good triggers from the factory, but mine was horrible. Problem solved now and even forgotten!

beer

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My preference would be for a Remington, but then again the only bolt rifle I currently own that isn't a remington 700
is my M38 Husqvarna Swede Mauser in (of course) 6.5x55

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have nothing against the Howa(Vanguard) barreled action or rifle. My vote is for the 700CDL? with the 26" barrel. I prefer the longer barrel with a 257.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That Vanguard is just too heavy for the caliber for me. I will look closer at the Remington. Anyone with a Rem 700 in .257 Weatherby care to comment on accuracy?
Thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey bill !
I have one of the remingtons. Mine is a standard sps.
(They have one at fishermans marine at hayden medows)
Mine Is extreemly acurate. I have not trouble getting groups in the sub MOA with RL-22 , and Ramshot magnum.
My top load so far is with the ramshot at 3550 FPS and a 100 grain TSX Barnes.
It shoots 100 grain hornady flat bases real well too.
I think you would like it.
...tj3006

freedom1st