Find
Notify
Tools

Jerry Eden Browning 65
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Jerry,

I was reading old posts and found you have a Browning 65 in .218 Bee and were reloading for it.

I just recently bought a 65 and am starting to reload. Have you found any loads that work well? Any tips for this round?

Thanks in advance for your time!

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
If no one else offers up some Bee wisdom, try with a 40 grain bullet; 13.5 grains of AA1680, and 13 even with a 45 grain bullet. The hornet bullets shoot well and perform well at these velocities. When loading for the Bee years ago, I used WW680, but did not try small pistol magnun primers. I now do use those in a hornet and get better consistancy. As always work up for your own rifle using establish techniques for saftey.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Henry:

The load I now am shooting is 14.1/4198/40 grain Hornet bullets. Vels are 2750 to 2800fps, and the groups are 1.5", at 50 yards. Almost all the group dispersion is verticle, which makes me think it is my shooting, rather than the load. The horizontal dispersion is under .5". I happened upon this load just by chance, as I had some 4198 I wanted to use up, works great! I also load 1680 as 308 Sako suggested, about the same charges as he.

The model 65 has been nothing but great fun.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
308Sako,

Thanks for responding with your experiences! Much appreciated.

Jerry,

Thank you for sharing your experience loading the Bee in the 65. I'm excited to start loading and shooting this round. Lots of gophers in my area of Montana.

I have a Winchester and a Browning 71. Francis Sell in an old book talks about the 65 .218 Bee as a great understudy rifle for the 71.

It should be as you say,"nothing but great fun!"

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Henry:

You are welcome! Let us know how your 218 Bee works out, and what loads you settle upon.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote