THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone still shooting a .222?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still shooting a .222?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got bored shooting jacketed out of my Ruger No.1..so now all I shoot is cast! Took a few years of experimenting but able to equal best jacketed match bullet accuracy at 100yds. What with differen't alloys, sizes, lubes, etc..I'll not live long enough to get bored now!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a tikka T3 camo stainless that I got 2nd hand (fired 50 rounds) after I cleaned it and worked up a good load it will shoot better than most 223's I have seen.
It is a top fox calling rifle. I use nosler 52gr boat tail hollow point for great effect on small game

Posts: 110 | Location: sydney australia | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
My Browning Safari .222 built on a Sako action in Belgium in 1964 is one of my favorite rifles. It is going with me to Zimbabwe in 16 days, and I use it for everything from impala on down to smaller game. With 53 grain Barnes X triple shock bullets, I have even taken whitetail deer with it in South Carolina. The deer don't even realize they are hit. They look around, take a few steps, and collapse.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
The 222 Rem will work on impala and I hope that you do not experience what happened with me 30 years ago.

A 222 Rem left us with a 6 mile tracking job, where we found the animal dead. One could say that that was in the days of cup and core bullets, and one can blame me, the shooter, for hitting a little too far back in both lungs. But a larger calibre may have dumped the animal after a short run. I feel better with duiker, oribi, and Tommy-sized animals for the 222. Shot a lot of spur-winged geese, too.

If the animal is in the open and is a clear, broadside shot, then you shouldn't have a problem, but in a forest with grass and bush preventing an unobstructed full view, I don't know. The 222 would not my calibre of choice for impala.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche, I'd like to see the .222 load data you mentioned. mrmichals@comcast.net

Thanks Mike

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike....there's a NICE 222Rem mag older Remington 222 on Armslist right now.
http://www.armslist.com/posts/...-remington-model-722

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks conifer, I'm checking it out.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,
Nice rifle! I saw one for sale the other day for $895. w/ a cheap scope on it. It did have Sako rings on it. I have to look at the bore yet. It was in VG condition. Decent price..or?
I do have one of the old Rem. M788 in .222 Rem. and it shoots GREAT, as most seem to do!
Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brittman:
Geedubya,
Nice rifle! I saw one for sale the other day for $895. w/ a cheap scope on it. It did have Sako rings on it. I have to look at the bore yet. It was in VG condition. Decent price..or?
I do have one of the old Rem. M788 in .222 Rem. and it shoots GREAT, as most seem to do!
Brittman

Take a look at GunBroker. Beaters are going for $750 plus.
I paid $850 for the one pictured a couple years ago. They have a saying at that gunshop ( I've been buying new and used rifles there for over 20 years.), If Geedub bought we priced it to cheap. I'd have no qualm buying an low serial number Riihimaki in VG condition for that price for my personal use. Folks that want them don't sell them that often. Nice ones are getting harder to find, and no more are being made. Give a little while and you could probably turn it and make a few coins. JMHO.

Not a Riihimaki, but if I were in the market at the moment, I would be sore tempted........

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=331663453

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I have a L461BR with a Douglas premium barrel that shoots better than it should .222 of course.
I also have a 722/222 that I haven't shot yet but back in the day I had one that shot in the 3's If I did my part.
I also have a 700/223 that likes RL7 real well.
Try 20.0 gr of RL7 behind the 50 gr bullet of your choice and I use Remington 7.5's most of the time.
Guy's rave about Lapua brass but I've had good luck with domestic brass.
Try that load, you'll like it.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote