THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Tikka T3 223 - Shortened to 16"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3 223 - Shortened to 16"
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. First post.

This may be of interest to someone planning to shorten their 223 barrel.

Recently I purchased a T3 Tikka in 223 1:12" twist. Second hand. Came with some hand loads too which was nice.

It had a 22" barrel. Measured t by closing the bolt and dropping a cleaning rod down the muzzle. Length = 22".

I had it shortened to 16" and fitted my ASE Jet-z CQT can.

I measured the velocity at 2900fps when the barrel was 22". After its operation it was 2700fps. So I am happy with that. Ties in with what this web site had to say about shortening a 223 barrel.
Effects of reducing barrel length on velocity

I fired of some rounds when I put the scope on it. Nothing fancy, just got the scope aligned and put 4 shots down range at 100yards one after the other, no resting in between.

I must admit I was surprised at the accuracy of this little rifle.

Dont get too hung up on where I had the calipers etc. I was in a rush. But it pretty darn good. That is 1/3" MOA.

The load was 25 grains of 2208 under a Hornady flat base SP 55gn pill. (2208 is Varget to you good folks state side)

Rifle weight 8.15pounds as pictured. It is 6.88 without the can. Nice can for sure, but heavy (546grams).

The Tikka action etc is too heavy IMHO for a 223. My Sako L461 which I had rebarelled to 223 was a much lighter rifle not to mention a better magazine capacity.

Comments? Thoughts?

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Looks like a terrific setup. I have a T3 with a fast twist (1-8")and will be taking possession of 2 new Left Hand T3 Hunters this summer.
I am not surprised at the accuracy.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a serious load! I use 25.5 Varget with a 69 grain SMK (as I recollect).
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handy and accurate, what's more to like?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 27gr of 2206h pushing a 55gr SGK. Should get it going a bit faster. 2208 more for heavier bullets like 70gr
good luck.

PS, ladder test and work up to it first and look for pressure. My Vanguard shoots .2 with this load and the Sika hate it

7mm Rem mag-162 A-Max
Boom ...splat

Posts: 39 | Location: Taupo New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it is 1:12, most are 1:8?

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its 1:12 alright. Must try that 2206H Taupo. Japs is what I am chasing too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy I was talking to in NZ has a shortened T3
which has a decent sized can on it and his shoots
really good as well.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote