Find
Notify
Tools

Triggers for a Ruger M77
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

I am getting a Ruger compact in the near future.

The biggest problems that I have seen with Ruger rifles (and all others) is the poor triggers. I am considering putting in a Timney or just having a competent smith do a trigger job on it.

Has anyone got an opinion (yeah, everyone) as to the best of the replacement triggers?

What are the pros and cons of replacing the trigger versus just an action job?

Thanks

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Cloward of Seattle tuned a M-77 trigger for me earlier this year. It's about 2.5 lbs and as crisp as I've ever seen. Cost was under $40 if I remember correctly. I think a Timney is about $100. Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger compact for my son,and you are correct as the trigger was probably at least 10 lbs.I had a guy fix mine that knows triggers well and he got mine to 2.5 lbs and real crisp also, buy changing the spring to a lighter one and polishing the sear.Cost me $20.I love Ruger rifles but their triggers from the factory suck.I wish they would have adjustments like Remington's or their own 2-stage triggers that they put on the VT model.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

get yourself a Timney. I have a Ruger 77MkII in 270, had my gunsmith 'work' the trigger, made it smoother, light release, but still creepy and HEAPS of overtravel. Bummer! Bought myself a Timney ($US80 approx), and it's the BEST thing I have done to the rifle. Gunsmith quoted me $AUS50 to install. Did it myself. Yes, they are a bit fiddly to install, as you need to file a bit of metal off to allow the safety to work properly, and remove a tiny bit of wood from the inside of the stock, but if you're patient, it's not rocket science. The instructions that come with the trigger are easy to follow - even my eleven year old son was able to describe what to do! I did the install late at night using hand tools, and did not disturb the tribe at all!! The trigger is adjustable for sear engagement, weight of pull and overtravel. Engagement and weight of pull are adjustable without removing the stock. Overtravel can be adjusted before reassembling the rifle. In addition, because of our (Australian) import laws, I had some concerns about delays, etc, and Timney were fantastic with their follow-up. Rifle is now a real shooter.

And no, I'm not on their payroll! (Maybe I should ask for an endorsement fee!!)

To me, having confidence in the rifle is what accuracy and hunting enjoyment is all about, and I can't recommend the Timney enough.

Rugeruser

One VERY satisfied customer.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
<shall>
posted
I installed a Timney on my M77 Mark I and just think it is great. Very inexpensive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My freind had two timmy trigger installed on rugers by timmy the charged him 35 dollars to install them. Price is up to 50 now I belive he just loves them they are set at 2.5lbs each.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
I put a Timney on my M77 II stainless synthetic. Didn't even have to modify the stock - just had to file enough metal off the trigger to let the safety engage. I got my trigger from Midway for ~$60. It's way better than the original and is adjustable to about any weight you'd want. I kept the original spring since it's a hunting rifle.

Huge improvement.