New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rec. for bolt .22 long rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for an accurate .22 long in bolt action. What would you recommend as an "off the shelf" rifle? Or would you go with the new .17's?
Thanks,

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Ruger M77/22's that are great!!! The first one is an early, blued with a walnut stock. I mounted a Tasco 4 power scope on it that I had laying around. It is just an amazingly accurate rifle and is nice and light and handy. Loves Federal Lightnings.
The second one is a Stainless M77/22 in the Target grey, with the Laminated stock. I had a Silver Tasco 3x9 that was collecting dust, so thats what it got. Shoots better than an other rifle I've ever owned. It's almost no fun to shoot it, as you hit everything you shoot at.
It makes me look like I'm a really good shot! wave

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anshcutz ,1 : 16.5 rate of twist most accurate ,Also Heavy barrel light stock putting all the weight in the front or forward hand.. They make some inexpensive (American style) sporters like model 1451. With Eley high velocity ammo this is incredible and you can shoot bugs at 75 yards. The best 22lr , takes a German rifle ,British ammo ,American optics(Leupold) IMHO, Best of luck Ben(Rug)

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle field is pretty much----
Anchutz, Kimber, Remington 504, Ruger, CZ, Sako & Ruger in no particular order.

Rimfire Caliber wise--your selection is the 22LR/17Mach2 or 22Mag/17HMR All are tack drivers in the right rifle.

Around my neck of the woods, it's just finding a rimfire bolt action to look at that's the biggest problem, unless you want to order sight unseen. Plenty of semi-autos but bolts seem hard to find and more expensive

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am looking for an accurate .22 long in bolt action. What would you recommend as an "off the shelf" rifle? Or would you go with the new .17's?
Thanks,

Run a search on "Black Death Challenge". It's a fiendishly difficult game that involves putting five shots from a .22 lr inside a half inch circle without cutting the line. You will find that the vast majority of successful shooters used either custom Ruger 10/22s or CZs.

There are pure target rifles that are more accurate, but for out of the box affordable .22 rifles, you are not going to beat the CZ.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks,

How much money do you want to spend on a rifle? Accuracy costs money, the more you are willing to spend, the more accurate the rifle will be.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking for an accurate .22 long in bolt action. What would you recommend as an "off the shelf" rifle?

Any used Anschütz 54.

Next question?

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they are available new any more but I would look for a win model 52. Great little rifles.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Unless planning on really serious competition, a CZ 452 is a great choice. Just almost as good as Anschutz et al, well made all metal and wood. Available for $300 or so. Several models from sporter to varmint.

Now a 17 or 22 depends. For a 17 cost about ten times as much to shoot. But they are very accurate to 150 yards or so. Most will shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards in 17.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Esldude:
Unless planning on really serious competition, a CZ 452 is a great choice. Just almost as good as Anschutz et al, well made all metal and wood. Available for $300 or so. Several models from sporter to varmint.

Now a 17 or 22 depends. For a 17 cost about ten times as much to shoot. But they are very accurate to 150 yards or so. Most will shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards in 17.

Ditto!
My CZ 452 in 22RF shoots very well. I also have a 452 in 17HMR, but don't shoot it nearly as much as the 22RF.
I love the Mauser type action on the 452's.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much money do you want to spend on a rifle? Accuracy costs money, the more you are willing to spend, the more accurate the rifle will be.
Don[/QUOTE]

$ CZ
$$$$ Anschutz, Cooper, Kimber, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another satisified CZ 452 owner here. An Anschutz sporter may have a better trigger, but it won't be any more accurate and it will cost a hell of a lot more $.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Money is a not a big issue. I am looking for accuracy out to 100 yards or so. I have looked the Model 54's and 77/22. I am a confirmed Model 70 fan, but the Ruger is a good looking gun. I have no experience or knowledge about Kimber and have no real access to CZ. Any recommendations on the Kimber?

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 93 stainless heavy barrel laminated stock 17 HRM that I think is far more fun to shoot at 100 yards than any 22 LR that I've ever shot. With a 4-12x Leupold on it, there is no challenge in shooting NECCO waffers and watching them break through the scope.

In a quality 22 LR, I like my Sako 78 and Winchester 52 Sporter (made in Japan) as well as any, but I'm hooked on the 17 HRM for fun and hunting practice.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Money is a not a big issue. I am looking for accuracy out to 100 yards or so. I have looked the Model 54's and 77/22. I am a confirmed Model 70 fan, but the Ruger is a good looking gun. I have no experience or knowledge about Kimber and have no real access to CZ. Any recommendations on the Kimber?

I still like the Kimber idea, and if you find the 77/22 attractive, you'll love the sexy Kimber. However,the Ruger is $400, and the Kimber is a cool grand.

Since money isn't an issue, how about a piece of old Americana: the Winchester 52 with Unertl scope? Too cool, eh? They were made in a boatload of varieties, and will keep their value if cared for.
Don't overlook a Remington 37 either. The "Rangemaster" was every bit the equal of, or better than the 52, and they beat the 40X to pieces! Vintage target rifles are way cool, and they're still here because the original owners, and their children, couldn't wear them out!
If you just want to shoot without fuss, get an Anschutz or Kimber, park a Leupold on top, and go to town.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THanks for the advice. I will check out a 52 and a Kimber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have no real access to CZ.

Order one on-line with a three day inspection period. You will not send it back.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dogcat: If you have no access to a CZ then you have no access to a WalMart. They'll order one for you. Go to their Web site.
I'm a big CZ fan, too. I took second in a 200-yard .22 match with one, right behind an Anschutz and ahead of several Anschutzes. Only sporting .22 I have shot that could keep up with the CZ was my old Browning T-bolt that I learned position target shooting with.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago the stock and open 22 silhouette NRA championship was won by a stock BRNO #1. Virtually the same rifle as the CZ. I have several of both and there is no comparison for the money. Everything that is even close is twice the money as the CZ.
You probably will want to work the trigger a bit but that is easily done with a kit that is easy to get and easier to put in. Cheap too.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ 452 without doubt. A trigger spring kit from Brookie on RimfireCentral for less than $20 turned mine into a real tack driver---for less than $300!
PS. I also shoot an original Kimber, the CZ compares very favorably...even tho the Kimber cost 2.5 times as much.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another cz fan here. i have a 452 american, 452 standard(open sights), both in 22 lr and a 452 lux in 22 mag. they all shoot great and didn't break the bank. good luck...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may have located a Win model 52, new in the late 1990's. Offered at $500, is this a good price assuming the gun is in good shape?
Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
dogcat,

There are two basic types of Winchester Model 52 rifles: original (made for 50 years or so) and reproductions (made in the early 1990's). $500 is a reasonable price for a reproduction. While it will not have the quality you can find in an original, neither will it cost $2,000 to $4,000.

That being said, it would be difficult to find a $250 rifle with more class or accuracy than a CZ452. It's only real fault is the trigger, but that's correctible with a $20 kit, or you can buy a top quality Anschutz that won't require any tweaking, but which will cost $600 to $1400, depending upon the model. It's hard to think you could buy more class than that for any price.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think dogcat pretty well had his mind made up as he asked the question on this board. If you look at all the posts, and the majority of posters suggesting the obvious (CZ), and dogcat's complete lack of interest in this rifle other than to say he has no real access to one, why bother!

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57,
I have not made up my mind. I have never seen a CZ of any type in the flesh. In my part of the world, at the two gun shops I frequent, they do not carry them and will not order one for me, hence my questions. A couple of pawn shops will order them with full payment and no return privileges.

I intend to make a gun show to search one out for a look over.

Anyway, to all of the rest of the responders - thanks for the info. I appreciate your time and help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like my post got some kind of response from you. So if you really want to look at them then the CZ-USA company located a few miles from where I live now, lists the following places in Oklahoma as dealers:
1. H&H Indoor Gun Range in Oklahoma City, telephone 405-947-3888.
2. Outdoor America Store/FBC Inc., in Oklahoma City, telephone 405789-0530.
3. Second Hand Rose of Tulsa, telephone 918-584-8181.
4. Poteau Pawn & Gun Shop Inc., in Poteau, telephone 918-647-4400.

You can also see the full line of CZ products by doing a Google search of CZ-USA, however, you cannot put your paws on one over the internet. Second Hand Rose prices shows it is
very, very proud of the products it carries.

Regards ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
The answer is simple.....
Get a CZ 452 and smile Big Grin

Roebuck222

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the contact numbers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went and inspected the various models of CZ .22's. Very nice and reasonably priced. Bolts were a bit rough, trigger average from my view. Quality ok for what you are paying. The synthetic model looked to be the best built. I will try one out and let you all know.

The gun dealer was very high in them.