Notify
Tools

Savage or Stevens opinions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
Thinking about a budget .223 or .22/250

The Stevens looks to be a good option, but I am also wondering about finding a beater Savage, and putting a new bbl on. Opinions? Comments?
Anybody got a beater the want to get rid of?

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stevens is a savage and is so cheap why buy a used one???

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a blued savage action, stainless heavy bbl, and one of those "colorfull" aftermarket laminate stocks.

I would rather "tinker" with a beater than a new rifle, even if the new rifle is cheap. Just curious as to others opinions.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Savage would be the way to go. They cost just a tad more, but you'd spend more than the differance trying to get the Stevens trigger to equal the accu-trigger. I hear the Stevens shoot well and you would likely be happy with it, but cahnces are you could take an off the shelf Savage and be happy with no barrel swap. IMHO

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The danger in doing what you're suggesting is that you can nickle and dime yourself into a money pit rifle that you'll never get your $$ out of it you want to sell it. That said, I bought a $200 Stevens 200 and am planning to buy a Savage 110 barrel in 7x57 from http://www.savageparts.com.
Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would go with a savage. I have a savage 300 wsm,a model 11f 223 and a savage 93r .17 hmr. they are all tack drivers. Anybody who thinks that the savages are cheap junk , needs to think again.Yes they don:t cost alot,but they have one of the most accurate rifles out there.Most of mine cost around the $600 dollar range.I also have two Brownings,which i like alot also ,but the savages shoot groups just as tight as they do. Big Coulee

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I am a Savage lover. I KNOW that they are an accurate out of the box rifle. I have a 110 .30/06, a 10FP .308, and a new 114U .30/06 (it's purty!)
I am thinking about a beater receiver (blued) and a heavy stainless bbl (.223 or .22/250) and one of those swanky colored laminate stocks.

The question was probably not worded well, what I meant to ask is which would be cheaper to sart with, a new Stevens, or an old beater Savage truck rifle.

Anybody got one they want to get rid of? Big Grin

Thanks!
Joe

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
which would be cheaper to sart with

I'm not sure where you live but I know around my parts a used Savage 110 costs the same as a new Stevens so for me it would be foolish to buy anymore used Savage rifles unless it had an accutrigger.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck,pop off the cheezy grey stock and it even says "SAVAGE" right in the plastic!

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote