Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser rifle questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted
I am looking for a little help here. I recently picked up a Mauser actioned “custom” rifle, probably vintage at least the sixties, if not earlier. It has been rebarreled to 244/6MM. It is a small ring short action with no stripper clip notch (ala commercial/pre war), cocks on closing (Pre ‘98) and does not have the third locking lug. The receiver serial number is Y94XX and it wears what appears to be a Jacob’s stock, fitted to the action and barrel with hand chisel marks around the barrel/action area. The sling is attached with quick release push button swivels inlet into the stock.

It has a Buehler safety and what appears to be a commercial drop floorplate/trigger guard, which has a button on the side of the front of the trigger guard to release (using a cartridge or similar object). The steel trigger guard has “Made in Spain” stamped on the side. It wears a period correct steel Weaver K25 2.5X power scope and old style steel Weaver rings on steel Weaver bases.

The person I bought it from (mid 70’s in age) told me her mom used it to “shoot deer in the back yard” to put food on the table. She told me it was a .243 (common mistake) and after buying it, determined it was actually a 244, (bonus for me!)

I bought it because the price was right, it wasn’t beat to crap and the barrel was clean and rifling was crisp. I had already determined it was probably a 244, not a .243 and I currently load for 6MM, which is nothing but a bonus to me.

I am thinking it is just someone’s pieced together rifle, but there was a lot of thought put into it for just one of the thousands of “sporterized” military guns. Any thoughts?

It isn’t expensive or super pretty, but I like older guns that have character. I will post pictures, too.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Flippy do post some pictures.
Sounds like you may have a 1940's 1950's Husqvarna (model 640 pre 1640 )but the spanish bottom metal is throwing me.
I will wait to see the pictures before going further out on a limb than that cuz I'm probably wrong already!.
Hey how are things in Spring town these days. (I grew up near Crow west of you.)

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Here's the rifle:

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Not bad for $185...
and to answer your question, well, Springfield/Eugene area is OK if you can stand the politics...lol

I took the action out of the stock and there is nothing on the barrel or receiver (proof marks, cartouches, anything) except the serial number stamped on the LH side of the receiver.

And I had to post the pictures one at a time, must be something new here, used to be able to post several in one posting...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sure looks like a 3rd lug right under the bolt handle to me, witch makes it a 98 and a good rifle.
nice round too.
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on scond look that might be part of the bolt scroud. but it still should be fun, but be carfull. that third lug can save your eyes...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the bottom of the bolt face squared/flat? If so it's Spanish.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats a M93

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
The bottom of the bolt is flat, and it cocks on closing...not a 98.

And there is no thumb cut-out for using stripper clips...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice old rifle. Being that it's a 93, and it's chambered in 6mm Rem, I'd be loading at the lower end. Chamber pressure for the 6mm in certain loads can run up past 63000 psi which I think is a bit much for a '93.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Nice old rifle. Being that it's a 93, and it's chambered in 6mm Rem, I'd be loading at the lower end. Chamber pressure for the 6mm in certain loads can run up past 63000 psi which I think is a bit much for a '93.
Thanks!
I never load anywhere near max, most rifles I've loaded for like the loads less than max for accurancy anyway. I thought it was not a bad old timey rifle for the money.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
All of the information I can find for a M93 says my rifle should have a stripper clip cut out in the reciever. Was there some produced without a cut out, and if so where can I find info on them?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the clip slots were filed out by the customizer. It was a common thing to do at one time. Most will leave them in place today.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The thumbcut in the left sidewall is absent. That is not uncommon on Spnaish 93's and Chilean 95's. Both however had charger humps with stripper clip slots. The two are not the same. That rifle had a stripper clip slot as well as charger hump, the hump was removed.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'93-5-6 Mausers are slick rifles, yours is sporterized nicely.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the help, and also the warning about the pressure. I looked on the SAAMI website and the pressures for the 7X57 and 6MM are 51,000 PSI and 65,000 PSI so I will have to watch my loads...

That's what is so cool about this site, lots of people with LOTS of experience!
Thanks again for your comments and help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Aussie pal with a 6mm on a 93-95 like yours. It's on it's second barrel! He uses 80-90 grn bullets around 3000 fps. Goats, roos, rabbits and foxes by the hundreds fell to those loads.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I have an Aussie pal with a 6mm on a 93-95 like yours. It's on it's second barrel! He uses 80-90 grn bullets around 3000 fps. Goats, roos, rabbits and foxes by the hundreds fell to those loads.
Thanks! It's nice to know it's probably not going to blow up in my face with regular loads. Will shoot it soon with 70g Sierra's and keep you posted..

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
And thanks for that. I did some checking and the SAAMI max avg. for a 6mm is 63,000PSI, the 7mm Mauser is 51,000PSI. I will keep the loads backed off, and I have found most rifles respond better on accuracy for some reason anyway with reduced loads.

Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
The thumbcut in the left sidewall is absent. That is not uncommon on Spnaish 93's and Chilean 95's. Both however had charger humps with stripper clip slots. The two are not the same. That rifle had a stripper clip slot as well as charger hump, the hump was removed.
Hey thanks! Did some more looking on the ol' internet to actually see pictures of unmolested '93's and I see what you were referring to. Thanks again for letting me use your brain power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FLIPPY I HAVE A '94 BRAZILIAN ACTION THAT IS A 250 ACKLEY IMPROVED. IT ALSO HAS NO NOTCH ON THE PORT SIDE. I THINK SOME OF THESE GUNS WERE USED FOR GUARD RIFLES AND SUCH AND NOT TO BE LOADED IN A FAST AND RUSHED MANNER. powdr

Posts: 309 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 25 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your action is an M96 Swedish Mauser. I'll add my caution to watch the pressure. If you sell it some day make sure the buyer acknowledges that in writing. It might save a lawsuit. You can't protect fools from themselves but you can protect yourself from them.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I think your action is an M96 Swedish Mauser. I'll add my caution to watch the pressure. If you sell it some day make sure the buyer acknowledges that in writing. It might save a lawsuit. You can't protect fools from themselves but you can protect yourself from them.

How many 96 Swedes do you have that have no thumbcut?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote