New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireball loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Several months back I bought a 700 LS in .221 Fireball. I finally got around to shooting it at 100 today. The only .224 bullets I had on hand were the Sierra 50 gr. medium velocity Blitz. I threw together a random load with these bullets, 19.7 gr. of AA 2015 and CCI primers. Groups are around 3/4" so far. For a random load couple with an at least 83 pound trigger pull, I was pretty pleased. Once I lighten the trigger and play with loads a bit, this should turn into at least a 1/2" shooter. Anybody got any favorite Fireball loads that have shown really good accuracy for you that I should try?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on small calibers, and you should find several threads on loads for the 221 Fireball. It's a favorite of mine, having rechambered a Rem 788 to Fireball 12+ years ago.
RL7 and H322 were my favorite powders, but now I primarily use AA1680 and LilGun. I seldom use heavier than 45gr pills, and those last two powders really crank in the Fireball, with outstanding accuracy. Data is on both company's website.
The Fireball is an overachiever, with efficiency off the chart!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SC

I am shooting a 700 classic using 16.0 grs IMR 4198 and 50 gr V-Max and getting groups slightly under 1/2 inch at 100 yds.

It took an aftermarket trigger to cure Remington's lawyer trigger. Once that was done I was able to get the above accuracy.

Shep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SC...

Not gonna win any velocity contests, but in my LVSF (22" barrel), check this out for accuracy...5 shots @ 100...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got_the_bug: Wow! Great shooting there with the new Remington! I hear they are planning on making that Rifle in 204 Ruger sometime in the future.
What a sweet little Rifle you have there! With that kind of pinpoint accuracy and a rangefinder that little Rifle and bullet combo would really be a Varmint getter!
I just did a trigger job yesterday on a brand new Remington 700 VLS and my Schrader Trigger Pull Gauge told me the original lawyer like trigger setting was 84 ounces! It was simple to adjust down to 40 ounces and is very crisp and creep free!
Again congratulations on that great grouping!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SCGunNut: I am glad to see your Remington Rifle is starting out so well! That Sierra 50 gr. Blitz is an often overlooked bullet. It has always been for me very accurate and very lethal on Varmints.
I have two Varmint Rifles in caliber 221 Remington Fireball. One is a Kimber Ultra Varmint and the other is a newish Remington 700 Classic.
For some reason I wanted to stick with 40 gr. bullets in these two Fireball Rifles.
I use the 40 gr. Berger H.P. in the Kimber with 16.9 grs. of IMR 4227 and Federal 205M primers.
I use the 40 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip in the Remington with 16.0 grs. of Hodgdon Lil'Gun powder and Federal 205M powder.
Both Rifles have 24" barrels and use Remington 221 Fireball brass.
Good luck with your new Fireball!
By the way I have heard and read a lot about the 16.0 gr. loading of Lil'Gun powder in the Fireball - it has been printed that this load gives THE highest velocities and yet it has the least amount of pressure of loads tested so far. Anyway I am very happy with that Lil'Gun loading - be sure and try it!
Good luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote