New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR Remington?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had the opportunity to bump into this Cooper model 22 chambered in 6mm BR Remington the other day.

This rifle is pre-enjoyed of course, having an '05 vintage and thus a 1 in 14 twist.

But it looks like it could be a shooter.
Came with 90 loaded rounds, 200 pieces of Lapua Brass as well as reloading dies.

Have not taken it to the range yet.

I've reloaded for four other 6mm chamberings, but never the BR or the PPC

Would love to hear comments in regards to do's and do not's with this cartridge as well as the experiences of others.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice! I'll bet when you bumped into it you also had to leave a sack full of hundred dollar bills behind in order to get it to follow you home Cool.

I've just started working with a 6mm PPC Sako sporter which I recently "bumped into". Your 6BR has a bit more case capacity, so there are no close parallels, but I've had excellent results with AA2200 and 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tips in my 1-14" barrel. The heavier 70 grainers stabilize, but don't give me the one-hole groups that the 55's do.

By the way, the data from Accurate for AA2200 seems somewhat too hot in my rifle. That might or might not be the case for yours, but as always, start a little on the low side.

And congratulations on a fortunate "bumping into".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes people leave that kind in places where you bump into them. To keep someone from hurting their toe, bringing it home was sure decent of you.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
slow twist 6BR 58grain V Maxes and RE7 have worked really well for me.

I love the 6BR for accuracy Iv'e got a 13.5 twist for light bullets and a 9 twist for the heavys. Very easy cartrige, seems like everything shoots great.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
go to 6mmbr.com lots of info. Varget, reloader 15 and 8208br have all produced good results for me.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.
It is much appreciated.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GW

My sako ppc shot best with 75gr bullets and very well with 75gr Vmax bullets I think I was using Vhit 133 powder and H335 powder. My rifle followed some other fella out of my safe a few months ago. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
GW

My rifle followed some other fella out of my safe a few months ago. FS

(SH)It happens,

Hope it was a profitable experience for all parties.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
505ED shoots a 6mm BR. PM him for loads, etc.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 6mm BR as well. Berger and Fowler 68 gr. bullets shoot extremely well for me. I will have to dig up the loads.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think you got a dandy! But then I like the whole BR series....22 BR, 6mmBR, 7mmBR, and .30BR are the ones I've owned and shot.

For hunting deer, antelope, and other similar size game, I think it has plenty of poop in the hands of a skilled hunter. (I think unskilled hunters would be better off with a 105mm rifle.)

Anyway, I still have a match rifle which was originally built in 6mmBR. I've converted it to a 6mm TallDog, just to try that chambering out. Supposedly it is better because it comes closer to 6 PPC powder volume, but in a shorter, fatter case.

What was the result of that conversion? Well, yeh, it might be a few .001s of an inch better at the bench for 5-shot groups. But then maybe that was just because I was using later lots of the same bullets, the later lots might have been better. Or maybe the Moon was in the influence of Venus Smiler.

Anyway, for hunting I would prefer the 6mmBR to the TallDog. It has a little more powder capacity which can always come in handy in the field by virtue of its little higher velocity and very slightly flatter potential trajectory. Most of the game I have shot isn't wearing neon signs saying "I am 127 yards away", or some such.

Dandy round, dandy rifle. Enjoy as often as you can. Time goes by all too fast.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I had a slow twist 6 BR for a short while and it really loved the inexpensive Speer TNT 70 gr bullets. Good bang for the buck. I loaded Varget for the most part.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a 14 twist Krieger, shoots really well with H322 and 55gr Ballistic tips. 58gr Vmax, 70gr TNT, I can't say the prairie dogs like it at all.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
GW,

Not sure what you intend for this rifle but your factory check target seems to indicate a pretty good starting point. Gameking might be better if deer is what you are after.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
GW,

Not sure what you intend for this rifle but your factory check target seems to indicate a pretty good starting point. Gameking might be better if deer is what you are after.

Clem,

a couple thoughts

1. I'm a gun whore

2. I'm a Cooper nut

3. I subscribe to the notion that one makes his profit when he buys.

The rifle came with two sets of dies, one a Redding bushing neck die with two carbide bushings, and a Redding Competition FL die set with micrometer head. It also included a Nikon Buckmasters 6 x 18 side focus scope with fine crosshair and target dot, with target knobs and turrets, Talley lightweight mounts, 200 pieces of Lapua Brass, and another 90 rounds of ammo loaded in Lapua Brass.
I would have preferred it have a faster twist, but what the hey? I can fondle and shoot it for a while and if I choose, part everything out, and prolly put 3 or 4 Benjamins in my pocket. I figure its hard to lose by making a profit.

Best,

GWB

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Those Coopers are beautiful. I also love your Sako Bavarian Carbine. I'd love to have one in 6.5x55 but it's almost too expensive and beautiful to hunt with.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have a luxus model 11 in a 6br tha has a 1-10 twist it shoots up to 95 pretty good, my blaser has a 1-8 and all it shoots is 105s....it is accurate.

Good score on the cooper, I bet some varmints will bite the dust.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote