New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with .22 hornet
 Login/Join

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I have a Savage 340 in .22 hornet. Barrel is like new inside. I don't really need a hornet, wondering if anyone can think of other cartridges this rifle could be easily chambered for?

<Don Martin29>
posted
Just sell it as is. It's a econo design that is really not worth spending anymore on.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Convert in a 22k-hornet, I'm enthusiast.
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True, it is an economy design, but the 340 has a reputation as an excellent performer. If you don't have need of a Hornet, then you don't have need of a K-Hornet either, so sell the rifle to someone who needs and appreciates it.

The 340 was also chambered in .222 and .30-30, and was sold under the Sears name and maybe some other proprietary brands. It is possible that you might find a barrel for one of these calibers, but then you would also need a new magazine. Besides, I think you'll find the Hornet a more valuable chambering than either of the other two.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a .17 Ackley Hornet? Lots of good bullets in that caliber available. You can get around 3800fps with the lighter bullets. If you're into small varmint hunting it's a great round. Lots of folks use it for a fur gun.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a piece of junk...better give it to some sucker...just like me! [Big Grin] I don't know why anybody wouldn't want a nice little round like the Hornet around.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Just sell it as is. It's a econo design that is really not worth spending anymore on.

My brother has one of those in .222; awhile back I got a nice left-handed target stock made for an Anschutz .22 and bedded it for his Savage. Made a nice, although unusual looking rig, very comfortable to shoot ( if you're left-handed).

Tom

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it Hunter,

they make a greatlittle spotlighting rifle for whistling foxes or whacking stuff in the head. I have great success with mine. I have it topped with a leupold Vari X 11 3-9x50. It is a cz 527. Wouldn't be without a hornet for spotlighting.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also say keep that hornet and use it to reduce the fox population around your area. Thats what i use mine for. Accuracy can always be a bit of a pain with the hornet but with a little work (if you can call making up loads then going to shoot them work) you can get a load that is accurate enough to head shoot foxes out to 100 metres or so....which makes them heads seem rather small out there.

[ 09-17-2002, 16:53: Message edited by: EddieV ]

Posts: 18 | Location: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 340 Savage is kind of crude , but they most all shoot very well ........ very good utility weapon.....

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote