New
Find
Notify
Tools

264 Win Mag pre-64
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, later this week I will join 2 new clubs, the 6.5 and pre-64 owners lol and all in 1 rifle!

Came across a pre-64 for a song, and its a featherweight with the original 26" barrel, with a good bore and throat. Its being sold as an action only, as its missing the magazine box. Its also been rather half assed refinished, you can see some pitting under the cheap coating. But the smith said its not deep enough to worry and after hunting season we will refinish it properly. And I will be ditching the plastic stock *the reason it has no mag box, doesn't look to fit in the stock mag well* it functions flawlessly, and the headspace is right on.

I am very excited about this purchase! Unfortunately I won't have a chance to reload for it so I will be trying out some Nosler Custom ammo. Pricey but everyone seems to rave about its accuracy.

Going to put a Nikon 3-12x42 and go hunting Big Grin

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Standard. Featherweights had 22 inch barrels in .264 and everything else.

Wisners has aftermarket parts Bottom metal etc when/if you put it into a stock with a floorplate etc.

There are a coupler of original 264/338/300 magazine boxes on Gunbroker from gwimer. They are like $50.00 each.

Chris Price has original Steel (Std) or Aluminum (Fwt) bottom metal if you go that route. price308 at yahoo

WQhat serial number range is your's?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has bottom metal, only missing the actual magazine box. It still functions as it sits, I think whoever owned it before actually put it on a M70 stock and used a dremel for the barrel to make it fit. But we tested it, feeds just fine without it. I'm still going to buy one for future use as I'm not too keen on the camo stock.

The guy at the store said it was a FW, but if its a standard, that doesn't bother me one bit! I'm just happy I have a pre-64 Big Grin

I will pick it up tomorrow or wed and I'll put up the serial number.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has a 26" barrel, it is definately not a Featherweight, either in name or in actuality! Big Grin

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in college, a friend invited me to go out groundhog hunting. I had always used open sighted levers for hunting. He showed up with a Westerner in 264. It even had a scope on it. I made my first long range shot with that rifle that afternoon. It was 275 yards, bang, pink smoke and a flag. Always had a warm spot for those rifles. Enjoy.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok picked her up today!

Its a '61 standard, but has the fwt bottom metal *not sure why* and it looks to be a B&C stock for a M70 that has been modified to fit *not well at that*. Trigger has been worked for sure, its quite light, like 3lbs light. The safety still works though. Now I just need bases and rings and I will put my Nikon Monarch on it, order some ammo and go test it out!

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Chris Price is a great guy to work with. He should have plenty of parts, what ever they may be, ready to send you. I bought 2 complete actions and a GORGEOUS custom 257 Roberts with exhibition Calif walnut.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would someone please post contact info., phone number, adress, for Chris Price? Thanks.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Chris's email.

price308@yahoo.com

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I deal with pre 64 Win 70's a bunch. The hard item to find will be the correct 264/338/300Win Mag magazine box (and correct follower; hopefully your's has it). Check if Wisners has that stuff in stock and order it if you are going to want it down the road; if not in stock, George Wimer (gwimer on gunbroker) has a few listed @ top dollar, but they are a pretty scarce item.

It may have come with aluminum bottom metal but it is most likely assembled from parts to lighten it up. They did mix and match parts to get guns out the door and more-so later in production; when it comes to model 70's, never say never, but without the original paperwork it is just a good story. Good gun you got for sure.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote