THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    bonded bullets for hyper speed .224's

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bonded bullets for hyper speed .224's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How will bonded bullets and monolithics hold up in hyper speed wildcats?
I have a 22-6mm that will shoot 70gr bullets better than 3,600 fps, 60gr bullets 3,800+ fps.
Would this Swift's hold together, TSX's?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a bonded bullet it a cup and core bullet with the core glued or basically soldered to the jacket.
it's like gluing 2 popsicle sticks together versus just holding them together and breaking them.
fine for vaporizing little things.

for bigger stuff a monometal [kind of a misnomer many are copper and zinc the same as cartridge brass] bullet is your better bet.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
for bigger stuff a monometal [kind of a misnomer many are copper and zinc the same as cartridge brass] bullet is your better bet.

yes

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry,
I have seen/shot many deer/antelope with a 53gr TSX out of my 22-250 running approx. 3800fps.

I have never recovered a single bullet. I did find a petal once when vertebrae was hit.

I have no experience with bonded bullets but would be suspect that they might not hold together to well.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree -- a bonded bullet probably won't hold together at 3800 fps. It will expand, and some of the lead will probably separate, causing extensive organ trauma and likely killing the animal rapidly. If you want to avoid this result then use a more dependable monometal bullet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saying Wink
As we are into "correct" terminology then "hyper velocity" does not apply Eeker

The velocities cited are high velocity but not hyper velocity

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Just saying, since we are into reading comprehension...

He wrote "hyper speed" not "hyper velocity"

"hyper speed" has no common definition and further hyper in this case is being used as an adjective so he technically did not even create a single term.

Furthermore, "hyper velocity" is not the correct defined term. The defined term is is "hypervelocity". While various organizations have defined "hypervelocity" in various and specific ways it is also defined by Merriam-Websters as "a high or relatively high velocity (such as thousands of feet or meters per second)"

So one should also be careful assessing another's correct use of terms

Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah ? Hyper speed ? not so much as our bullet has direction and thus velocity not speed ! Big Grin

As to the term describing magnitude there are commonly accepted limits imposed to designate what is deemed subsonic, low velocity high velocity and finally hyper velocity.

The latter unattainable with our current ballistics system under "normal ambient barometric conditions "

one of us
posted Hide Post
A GS Customs monolithic, 50 to 60 grs at up to 3700 to 3800 FPS in a Swift will shoot through a bull elk at 100 yards. I witnessed this on two elk anyway..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GS Customs tu2 tu2 tu2
Those HV's at full gallop are something to behold !

Years ago just after Gerard Launched them he made up some for me for the 7mm STW

I tested them on Wharthog and at 100 m it was like someone had taken a giant fist and flattened them. The immediate slam down and stay down effect was something I had never seen before on a rifle !

My trackers and staff hated that rifle because it ruined meat at close distance. You pick up a pig by its legs and you rocked it and you could feel and hear everything sloshing about ion the inside !
It literally blew a spray and splatter of blood out from behind on whatever you shot. you could see the splatter extending beyond the animal for a good 2 meters

At distance in the Kalahari however it was awesome, 300 and 400 m in Springbok, Oryx and Hartebeest and the STW came into it's own !

Of all the bullets I shot from that STW and I tested loads with everything available at the time the GS Custom ranked as the number 1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for all the info!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the problem with small caliber bullets is that the potential jacket thickness is too thin to hsve the strength to hold together. In order to have a thick enough jacket to do the job the lead core becomes quite minuscule. the solution to the too thin jacket is to either thicken it up via a partition as in the Swift, or eliminate the lead core and go with solid jacket material.

A friend has a 22/6mm. He had it built about 30 years ago, prior to .224 bullets being marketed for big game. He would shoot the heavy Speer bullet (60 or 70 grain, I forget what it was). this was before chronographs were readily available, but I'm guessing by the trajectory that it was in the high 3000s. He shot a few deer with it - one ant about 600 yards. the deer was facing him. the rifle was sighted for 300 yards. He held the crosshair on the deer's nose and the bullet hit it low in the chest. He has had no complaints about it but a lot of time he has to use a different rifle due to minimum bore requirements for big game.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
Perry,
I have seen/shot many deer/antelope with a 53gr TSX out of my 22-250 running approx. 3800fps.

I have very similar experiences with TSX bullets.

I recently purchased some Nosler 64 grain Bonded Solid Base bullets. Running them through their paces with .223 and 22/250's. I've found them to be accurate with the right load and shot into a sand bank at around 3700 fps they are retaining about 60% of their weight.
I don't think you would be disappointed with either the TSX (TTSX) or the Nosler Bonded.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I agree -- a bonded bullet probably won't hold together at 3800 fps. It will expand, and some of the lead will probably separate, causing extensive organ trauma and likely killing the animal rapidly. If you want to avoid this result then use a more dependable monometal bullet.

tu2 rotflmo

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades out of 22.250 AI at 4500+ fps. They make it all the way to the coyotes and explode inside.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my experience is with the 222, 223, 22-250 and the 60 gr. Horndays has worked wonders in all three on deer...I wouldn't use it in a caliber larger than the 22-350 however and I have found the GS Customs bullets to work no matter how fast you push them and penetration and tissue damage is always enough, at least on an animal as large as a elk..I know a ranchers wife who filled her yearly tag with the old mans varmint guns, a 223 and a 22-250 on a spike elk every year as they fed off a haystack 75 yards from her kitchen window. all one shot kills. She said it worked as well on bear at the gut pile also..Guess it depends on where you poke it that's the final result..She liked the 60 gr. Hornady and the GS custom 50 gr. bullets that I loaded for her.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote