New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 110 Accubonds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used Accubonds several times in the .277 140 flavor with success.

I will be using them in my .257 wby this year and there have been several negative reports with this particular caliber bullet on another site.

Anyone here have any first hand experience? They shoot very well, and pass my usual 100 gr TTSX load in both velocity and trajectory at about 400 yards.

Posts: 127 | Location: Marana/Tucson, Az | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I can't see how 25 caliber would work any different than the other calibers.

I tested them in water jugs. The Sierra's on the left were found in the 3rd water jug. The Noslers were found in the 5th. The 115 NBT and the 110 Accubond performed the same with 65% weight retention.

I've never use the Accubond on game but I killed a hog and ram with the 115 ballistic and had great performance.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you on there being no difference, but some of the guys related poor stories, only with the 110 .257 specifically.

May I ask, was that in a 257 wby, what distance and impact velocity?

Posts: 127 | Location: Marana/Tucson, Az | Registered: 21 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Firstcoueswas80:
I agree with you on there being no difference, but some of the guys related poor stories, only with the 110 .257 specifically.

May I ask, was that in a 257 wby, what distance and impact velocity?

No, it was a Roberts at about 15 feet so about 2750 impact velocity.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st try with the 257 Roberts worked well enough on paper to get me thinking this might be a good deer or antelope combo. I can't see Nosler putting out a bullet that won't perform on game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use this bullet in both a .257 Roberts and in a .25-06. It has been very accurate and has held together well on pronghorn, whitetail deer, and mule deer.

What is the nature of the problem reported on this other internet site?

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have killed over 20 whitetails with the 110 Accubond and have recoverd 4 bullets. All were on shot kills and only a one took more than a step. I suppose the 4 bullets I recovered were "failures" because they only weighed around 60-65grs and they left no exit hole for a blood trail, but the deer was laying where it was shot so tracking wasn't an issue. Oh and they do maybe mess up a little meat, but I don't shoot my deer in the hind quarters or the backstraps.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't see Nosler putting out a bullet that won't perform on game.
They do it all the time....if the reloader doesn't follow reasonable practices. The .257 100-grain Ballistic Tip performs poorly on game at under 100 yards when fired out of a .257 Weatherby - I have the proof and it isn't pretty. That same bullet at 300 yards performs brilliantly, as it does out of a .250 Savage at shorter range. It is all about impact velocity. The OP wants to know bullet performance out of a Weatherby, reports out of an unknown rifle are of little value to him.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine an Accubond or a patition failure, short of a bullet with a flaw slipping past the inspectors...

Any bullet you mention will find somebody calling it a failure..Usually these so called failures, especially on deer size animals, are not failures, they are miss placed shots and who wants to admit they can't shoot!

Years ago we dealt with bullet failure quite a bit as it was common even on deer size game. Today that is truly not the case as the bullet makers today have got it all figured out IMO...

Even the bullet seperation we ocassionally see today is by someone picking the wrong bullet for the job at hand, and even a legitamate bullet seperation today is usually at the end of its penetration passage on the off side skin, and that is of no particular consequences..

Just my two bitl.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them in my 25-06, work just fine, but can be a tad too hard, IMHO. I've never had one fail to kill a deer sized animal, but smaller animals have managed to get to their lairs before expiring. This may be of little concern when hunting varmints/predators because recovery is not high on the priority list.
I would never choose not to use them, just that BT's are a better option for smaller game.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with the 110 gr accubond, I shoot a mod 70 Coyote lite in 25wssm that I bought the year they came out on a fluke. The gun is black, my first as I am a pre 64 guy, it is lite ,fast and points like a mod 12 ,16 ga. I have a 4.5 x 14 ,40mm scope with leupolds v armint reticule, the gun loved the 120 gr PEP grey super X ammo, worked very well and was very accurate, I ran out and tried a box of the black 110 gr accubonds, it has impressed me so that I put in a 10 yr supply, out of an easy dozen whitetails I have recovered 2 bullets.

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:
I can't see Nosler putting out a bullet that won't perform on game.
They do it all the time....if the reloader doesn't follow reasonable practices. The .257 100-grain Ballistic Tip performs poorly on game at under 100 yards when fired out of a .257 Weatherby - I have the proof and it isn't pretty. That same bullet at 300 yards performs brilliantly, as it does out of a .250 Savage at shorter range. It is all about impact velocity. The OP wants to know bullet performance out of a Weatherby, reports out of an unknown rifle are of little value to him.

We have literally shot truckloads of deer with 100 Ballistic-tips out of a .257 Weatherby. By "we" mean mostly my kid, I'm just the guide.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the balistic tips first came about many years ago, they had failues but that was promptly fixed..

I like the Accubonds in my 250 Savage, as well as the Ballistic tips, but the 250 is easy on bullets..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results from the 100 gr ballistic tip in my 257 wby on numerous antelope and deer. 100-400+ yards.
I plan to tru the 110ABs.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have taken several south Texas bucks in the 160 to 200 pound range with the .257 Weatherby shooting the 110 grain Accubond and have not been disappointed yet.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
115grn Partitions work great in my .257 Wby

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez JL, 257 weatherby seems like a little much for that size of critter, is that some sort of special animal found down in your parts? FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Accubonds in my 308 and 30/06 and have shot a lot of deer with them. That said a couple pals who are speed demons have had bullet failures in a 7 STW and a 300 RUM at less than 100 yards. Bullets have gone to pieces in the chest cavity with not much penetration. Too much of a good thing I guess.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot the 110 Accubond out of my 25/06 at the range, and it's very accurate, but have not hunted with them yet.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In my .257 Weatherby with 110 grain factory loads, I have shot:
1. Texas Mulie - 230 yds, DRT
2. Impala - 220 yds. 1st shot high and dropped him, 2nd shot for insurance.
3. Blesbok - 120 yds. Double lung, ran 40 yards after the shot.
4. Warthog - 230 yds, DRT
5. Gemsbok - 160 yds, 1st shot thru the shoulder went 10 feet, 2nd shot put him straight down.
6. Springbok - 200yds, DRT.
7. Nyala - 330 yds, went 30 yards after the shot.
8. Aoudad - 200 yds, 1st shot went straight down, 2nd shot for insurance.
It's the only load I'll ever need for that rifle.

Posts: 13 | Location: NJ | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They shoot great in my WBY accumark. The only Issue I have is I shot a blackbuck at 75 yds last year (behind first shoulder and into second shoulder) and I never had a exit. The entire chest and gut cavity was like a hand grenade went off. I thought there was a little too much bullet action and would have preferred an exit with less hydrostatic shock. I still lean towards the Barnes TTSX in all my chamberings, if my rifle will shoot them well. They seem to make a good balance of hanging tough when you hit bone and sailing through on a lung shot.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more thing to add- shot a coyote with the 110 Accubond on this past Saturday. Right behind the shoulder, yote flopped around, but never did regain its feet. Entrance hole size of the bullet, exit 50 cent piece, 387 yards.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fresh report. 140 pound white tail shot at 40 feet with a 25WSSM. Impact velocity in the 3050 FPS range. Bullet struck rib 2" behind the shoulder and exploded leaving an oblong hole in the hide 4" hi by 6" wide. a 2" piece of rib was disintegrated and the onside lung was jellied almost liquefied. Off side lung completely intact. buck ran a 400 yard loop and died in a bed 30 yards from where it was shot. I could have gotten that from a B-tip, or a pro-hunter, or a matchking for that matter. I will see this week if 130 .264s perform better.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quintas
Any,more news with accubonds ? FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
A couple of Weatherby die hards here in Oz have given up on AB's due to inconsistant performance.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a few fallow with them in a 25-06....they can be a bit hard on that size game animal and at 25-06 velocities.

Evidently the heaviest weight Accubond in any given caliber has the strongest/thickest jacket...as Nosler only offer one weight in .25 then it's a fair assumption that it will be a harder bullet

They were extremely accurate on paper however.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The big uns' ain't co-operated as of late,
so here are a couple dinks that have fallen to the 257 AI and the 110 gr. Accubonds.

needles to say but they were DRT and two holes.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like perfect Barbeque material!!

z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will not have any issues using a 110 gr AB from a 257 Wby near or far.
I have used the 110 gr AB from a 257 Roberts on coyotes and had plenty of expansion.
Do a search at noslerreloading.com and you will see many happy campers.

JD338