THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Single shot loads for the 6.5x55?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single shot loads for the 6.5x55?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted
Does anyone have a pet 6.5x55 load using the 140gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet? My K-95 Stutzen barrel in that caliber is here and I want to work up a suitable load for it with that bullet.

I have good data for varmint loads, but have not yet loaded up any big game bullets for it. With the rimless cases in the break open K-95, I want to keep the pressures well below max.

Thanks in advance.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Start with 44 grains of Re-22 and work from there. It is THE powder of choice among long-time and serious Swede shooters when it comes to 140 grain bullets -- and it gives top velocities at moderate pressures.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Start with 44 grains of Re-22 and work from there. It is THE powder of choice among long-time and serious Swede shooters when it comes to 140 grain bullets -- and it gives top velocities at moderate pressures.

Sage advice. I use 46.5gr of Re22 in my "'Twede" loads, however I'm using Hornady 140gr SPs and Lapua brass for a CZ550. Alliant max is 48.0 grs. Normal safety disclaimer, start 5-10% below and work up carefully.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good to hear. In my 96 I prefer the 155 mega and 130 X-bullets...any suggestions for my 1999 MRC with a 1:7.5" barrel?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was loading 48gr of R22 , lapua brass, 140 noslers and hornys

I dropped ot down to 46.5-47-47.5 of R22 with 140s

160gr sierra 45.5 - 46 gr R22

Shooting a Winchester model 70 classic and
sporterized M96 swedish mauser

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post

You may know, but your '96 came with a twist of 7.5 if I am correct, I would shoot the same bullets in your MRC and try them since you are happy with them and have them.

Let us know how that MRC does, and some pics! Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
As you will see below the gun is in the building stages now, and is currently with Jim Dubell at Delta Gun Shop in Washington.

The gun is being built to resemble a 1920/30s English stalking rifle. The action is a Montana 1999 short action [perfect size for 6.5X55 and 7X57 Mauser class cartridges], but I am having it modified to resemble the original sporter Mausers with a straight pear shaped bolt handle and square bridges that double as bases for the scope mounts.

The barrel is a Montana creation, but it mimics the profiles used by both Mauser and those shipped to H&H and Westley Richards. The barrel is 25 inches long with a 1:7.5†twist and will have an NECG barrel band front with a barrel banded front swivel base. The rear sight is on a barrel-banded island with an express sight insert one up and two down.

The stock will be fairly straight, but with a pancake oval cheek-piece and both a metal grip cap and buttplate on a 14 7/8 inch LOP. The rear sling swivel base will be a two-screw model. Forend will be made of burl African blackwood [a rosewood just like cocobolo and Brazilian rosewood]. The checkering will be similar to a classic English mullered boarder, but with a double outline instead of a triple, it will however be simple in overall design.

The wood for the stock came from New Zealand and is a nice piece of English walnut, but the figure and color are reserved just the way I like it.

The finish on the rifle will be Carbonia blueing.

The open sights on this rifle will be regulated for firing the 155-160 grain bullets and filed accordingly. The scope on the rifle will be sighted in for the most accurate 140 grain slug either leaded, or all copper. I plan on keeping the velocities to what the cartridge was designed for and probably consistent with Euro loadings today. I do not believe in pushing a cartridge to the maximum loads.

When the gun is finished I will post more pictures. I am still firming up the stockmaker.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
333, that's what I was hoping for, pics of a completed rifle, will be waiting, thanks! Looks like a great set up.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
You will have to give me a little time! The 'Smiths are at work, but anyone you have read about on these forums has had a lot of business due to it and there is a backload of work currently.

I will happily post more as the progress is made.

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise guys.

I had a bunch of powder on hand but no RL22. I picked up some last night.

I'll give you a report on what I come up with, like I said, I want small groups, not high pressures for the K-95's break open action.

A good friend of mine is working up some loads with his 6.5x57R using the new 130gr Scirroc II bullets at the same time I'm working on this project.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
If RL22 is the best, maybe I will give it a try also. Anyone have charges for the 155 Lapua Megas?

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
333_OKH, that looks like a great project you've got there.

I shot some extensive test loads with RL-22 using my R93 Semi-weight to start out. I was all the way up to 48gr with Federal 210M primes and Lapua brass with no pressure signs.

The 46gr load shot consistent .700-.730 groups at 100 yards so I'll try it in my K-95 Stutzen next. All the loads shot sub moa, but I don't want high pressures to cause extraction problems with the K-95's break open action.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also give VihtaVuori N 560 a try. It was developed with the 6.5 x 55 and 270 in mind. This Finish powder is held to such strengent manufacturing tolerances that you don't have to redevelop your loads with different powder lots; it is an extreemly consistent powder.

A starting load for the 140 Seirra bullet, with a C.O.L. of 3.110, is 44.1 grains, rated at 2450 fps and Max is 47.5 at 2677 fps. I got 2533 fps out of a 13 inch barreled single shot 6.5 handgun and Nosler 140 Gr Partitions, grouping well under an for 5 shots at 100 yards with 50.0 Grs of VV N 560.

The Hornady 140 SST did a bang flop on a better than 200 LB buck for me this year with the same powder charge that I use for the Partitions, out of my 6.5 MiniDreadnaught chambered Encore pistol. Max for N 560 in that case is 52 grains but I got my best accuracy at a 50.0 grains charge. You generally need 2,000 fps to get expansion with Partitions but the SSTs will continue to expand down to 1,400 fps and have a BC of .521 compared to the Partition's .490.

I could have put my fist in the exit wound on my deer and there wasn't a lot of blood shot meat. This was a steeply angled down hill offhand shot taken at about 75 yards. The bullet hit high on the right shoulder and exited the left shoulder about 7 to 8 inches lower, with no bone being hit that I could tell.

The SSTs are an Interlocked bullet, so they hold together better than Ballistic Tips would but are about as soft on the front end as BTs. With you not wanting to push your pressures and velocities too high in a break action, I thought that the SST might be a great bullet for you to use. In 6.5, the Nosler BTs aren't available above 120 grains and your barrel twist is a natural for the 140s in my view...Rusty

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersWith psp Rem 140gr. bullets 44gr. of Accurate 4350 is accurately moving at an avg. of 2650fps. 47gr Data Powder 86 does even better at 2700 fps. OAL=3.180" lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f224:
333_OKH, that looks like a great project you've got there.

I shot some extensive test loads with RL-22 using my R93 Semi-weight to start out. I was all the way up to 48gr with Federal 210M primes and Lapua brass with no pressure signs.

The 46gr load shot consistent .700-.730 groups at 100 yards so I'll try it in my K-95 Stutzen next. All the loads shot sub moa, but I don't want high pressures to cause extraction problems with the K-95's break open action.

Interesting stuff. I am looking to use Barnes X-bullets in both 130 and 140 and also the Lapua 155......grains of what powder?

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting stuff. I am looking to use Barnes X-bullets in both 130 and 140 and also the Lapua 155......grains of what powder?

It was 46gr or RL-22. Sorry if I was not clear in the previous post.

I test fired the same load today in my K-95. 46gr RL-22, Lapua cases, Fed 210M primers and 140gr TBBC's. It shot three into .530" and as a control, I have some Federal 140gr Gold Metal Match ammo. The Federal factory ammo also shot three into .525".

I think I'll stop while I am ahead and just use this 140gr TBBC load for both of my 6.5x55 Blaser's.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information on the loads. I hope to test these out when my rifle comes back from the 'Smiths.