New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet brass.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If forced to choose between Winchester and Remington brass ( as I am ), which would you choose and why?
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cheaper and more plentiful. Or the one that matches the brass that I already have.

But don't ask me the same question about Chevy's and Ford's.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington Hornet brass holds significantly more powder than Win (1/2+ gr, but in a Hornet that's a lot), so I normally pick Rem.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
Agree with using Rem. brass and it's capacity. Also like Lil' Gun powder in them. Seems to make the thin walls last a bit longer, less pressure and more velocity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Since I could not locate a source for Norma, I ordered the Remington cases last night.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever try the Nickel Plated Hornet Brass ? I saw that you bought a load last night and thought I throw this in. I use them and think they handle the presures and sizing a bit better. It's a neat little cartridge and one of my favorites. I had a guy shooting factory hornets next to me and made fun of my pretty little ammo and ask if "them thar reloads shoot"? It wasn't until the second top staple in his 100 yd. (2" group) target was missing that he got his answer. I left my target hanging with one 5 shot hole in it as a statement without saying a word.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Pablo>
posted
Re: horet brass I have not found one brand betterthan the other, the biggest is chamber specfications if chamber(reamer) dims are matched closely to the brass they last much longer

<George Capriola>
posted
I prefer Winchester brass in everything. It's a little thicker, and the case necks are more uniform in thickness, which equals more concentric reloads without neck turning. Also, the Hornet brass lasts much longer with Winchester than Remington. The only Remington brass I use is for my .17 Remington, because Winchester doesn't make it.
Regards, George.

<TERMINATOR>
posted
I used some nickel plated brass and like it a lot. It feeds better than the regular brass and seems to last longer and stay cleaner. The downsides are slightly higher price and that it tends to wear out reloading tools faster. In fact, these are trivial expenses. I had a scratched up decapping rod on my LEE collet sizing die and they immediately asked me if I had been using nickel brass. Gave me a new rod free. I think it dulled some of my RCBS case trimming tools and they gave me new ones free too. Said as long as I was not making ammo commercially the life time guarantee applied. We are talking many thousands of rounds processed, not all nickel. I just rebored the hornet to be a K-hornet. The main goal is to get the brass to last longer and a little better accuracy. Velocity gain is supposed to be about 200 fps with same powder load. Dan Cooper says you will usually notice a significant accuracy increase with the conversion even when fireforming cases. I have noticed less flyers in the field, but not given it a fair shake at the range. Why waist ammo on paper when you can field test it on Prairie Dogs. I am generally using Winchester brass because George said so and so did a few other guys on the site, also Reloader 66. Works for me. I shoot moderate loads and am not looking for extra velocity. To each his own. I'm still trying to use up a keg of 2400 which seems to work fine. May not be modern or sophisticated but it smells good and shoots good too. Maybe you should try some of each type of brass and let us know what you find out. I own a lot of guns and use the hornet the most. The key to success is to accept it for what it is and not try to make it be a moose killer. Have fun.

<Snout>
posted
George, how many reloads should you expect on average with moderate loads in the Rem. brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
...moose killer? My goodness, man.. I wouldn't use a hornet on anything bigger than elk....
Oh... I have used Winchester brass almost exclusively with my hornets, and my current K-Hornet. I have used Remington brass trying to develop cast bullet loads, however.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For two years I was having fits trying to get a beautiful new Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet to shoot better. I switched from Winchester brass to Remington nickel plated brass and the groups went from 1.5" down to .780" to 1.00" It has only been a year and a half since the transition and I have noticed no problems with my dies! I was doing everything I could to make that Hornet shoot and the brass and maybe some seating depth and screw tension had an effect on it. But one reason I tried the nickel brass back then was a poster on some chat room suggested it as it had perked up his Rifle. Something clicked. I use Redding dies and Imperial sizing wax. I say try the Remington Nickel sometime.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both Winchester and Remington brands in my "K" Hornet. The difference in case capacities are enough that it is almost like loading for two different calibers. Remington has the most capacity. Winchester cases last longer in my oversized chamber, typically 20 to 30 rounds. I use the Remington cases for my "edible game" loads with full cases of RL7 or IMR 4198 because of their extra capacity. The Winchester cases are used for my "varmint" loads using H4227 or A1680, because they stand up to the stiffer pressures better. On a side note, WW296 is listed as maximum velocity powder in at least one manual, but I had extreme pressure variations with this powder and would steer clear of it.

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Snout,
I wouldn't expect more than 3 or 4 reloads from Remington brass, due to the thin brass. Usually, the neck pinholes or cracks after a few trips through the sizing dies. I've got Winchester brass I've reloaded 10 times or so.
Regarding Rollinghills post, I've learned to stay away from W296 also. It's a little too unpredictable near the upper load limits, and I've had blown primers and stuck bolts from what I thought were "mild" loads.
When it comes to the Hornet, I like 13 or so grains of Lil'Gun, a Federal #100 small pistol primer, and Berger 22/40 MEF's, seated about .020" off the lands.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This sort of after the fact, but do any of you know of a source for Norma .22 Hornet brass? I purchased a box of Norma shells for my TC Contender carbine back in 1989 and have re-loaded then ( according to my records ) 52 times. And before you call BS on that last statement - it is the truth. I have discarded several cases due to loose primer pockets and have lost a few but they still have life in them.
I know Norma is proud of what they produce but I would like to purchase another 100 cases if anyone has a source. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the remington brass and starngely enough my rifle will not shoot without rem primers (7 1/2) [Confused]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using 11 grains of W296 behind the sierra 45 gr .224 hornet pill in my cz 527 and have not had a drama with this powder ???

I would not like to change because it was such a pain trying to find a load the rifle liked.

I also do not thin lil gun is available in Oz either.

[ 02-05-2003, 00:12: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lil-Gun is made in OZ and repackaged by Hogden. I forget what they call it down there. Ask some of your mates PC. I bet one of them knows what the powder is. Good shooting to you.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<mbkddd>
posted
Bro,
go with the winchester it is currently the closest thing to norma. I tried remington brass early on with that piece of shit Bruno and the brass didn't last espcially when preping the brass.