New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying Rimfire Rounds ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am asking a fairly quaint question, maybe, but there is another reason behind it, apart from idle curiosity... :-)

It is about modifying rimfire rounds. Apparently,, some .17 variations built on rimfire cases already exist.

My interest would be to have a .22 WMR case shortened, because I need cartridges for the defunct - yet once extremely popular - two French rounds, the 6mm Bosquette and 6mm Nationale. The modern "6mm Flobert" tinies, as made e.g. by RWS, are in spite of their name NOT identical in dimension to CIP 6mm Flobert specification, but rather to the former 5,6mm Flobert. In a French Carabine Scolaire, the undersized RWS cartridges will ignite only after 5 hits, and will bulge very badly.

Any ideas about the possibility of such a shortening job ?

Regards and thanks,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<David E>
posted
That actually sounds doable. More so than other ideas. It is a shame that so much effort must be put into loading a case that's only good for one firung though. At one time I was triming 22mag cases, actually cutting them in 2, to take the bullet out (Really, don't ask..long story). What I found out was that the primer mixture, while sensitive, is not THAT sensitive. An inertia puller WILL remove the bullets (If you can stand the heebee jeebies), A collet puller would be better. Drill the base out of a larger bullet case for a holding ring to avoid putting any point loadings on the rim, and go slow. Provided the 22Magnum case really IS the right diameters at body and rim, it should work. But BE CAREFULL.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Carcano91,

Bill Brawand - one of the best bullet makers there is - experimented with some of these rim fires.

The way I understood it, he got some primed case from Federal to work with.

I think he has a page on www.benchrest.com. you might like to look there and may be have a word with him.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Wildcat>
posted
did you ever consider macking your own wildcat for that? possible a shorter 22 hornet case with an elongated shoulder? then through all your trouble you could still reload the cases when done!

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed !!

<jca245>
posted
I recently made a centerfire .22 magnum round by machining out the rear of a FIRED .22 magnum shell, and inserted a .223 primer pocket. I "glued it in" with black locktite.
I used the small rifle primer, 3 grains of bullseye, and the sierra 52 gr HPBTM bullet. Results at 100 yards was encouraging, but I believe the hornet still has it beat. Still...it was way cool working it up. I fire it from my contender with the 22 mag barrel and the firing pin set to centerfire.

Take care,

Joe