THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    First time ( .223 Stevens Mod. 200)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time ( .223 Stevens Mod. 200)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
BOOMToday was the baptism of the $279.00 .223 Stevens Mod. 200.Haven't reworked the trigger. Must say it was a little thumbdownstiff.After some scope problems and adjustment and thirty reloads It shot the Winchester varmint white box into a 10 shot 1" group at 50 yds.

Getting more adjusted to the trigger the Black Hills 68gr. match did a four shot 1/4" group. In three other rifles this stuff would not shoot worth a darn. There was a 9 shot 1/2" group and a 12 shot 3/4" group all at 50 yards.

The Black Hills 55gr. mixed years of LC cases shot a 16 shot 3/4" group again at 50 yards.

Once the trigger and I get together this El Cheapo hunting rifle may just start to shoot. Big Grin thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche: I hope your Rifle continues to perform well for you.
I was not familiar with the Stevens 200 so I went to the Savage/Stevens website and looked the Stevens over.
Which scope are you using and why the 50 yard testing?
If the wind is calm tomorrow I am going to do some more load testing on a couple Varminters. And I have two Big Game Rifles that need to be sight in verified!
Do you plan on using the commercial loads for this Rifle or are you just doing barrel breakin or are you gathering once fired brass.
That 1/4" grouping at 50 yards is pretty promising.
Like I say best of luck in the future with your new Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Bartsche: I hope your Rifle continues to perform well for you.
I was not familiar with the Stevens 200 so I went to the Savage/Stevens website and looked the Stevens over.
Which scope are you using BSA 6-20x50and why the 50 yard testing?At my age and condition that's a pretty good hike
Do you plan on using the commercial loads for this Rifleno or are you just doing barrel breakin yesor are you gathering once fired brass.Not really. Got a lot of brass.
That 1/4" grouping at 50 yards is pretty promising.
Like I say best of luck in the future with your new Rifle.Thank you
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, Nice start for that rifle. Will you be using a "Surplus" Powder in it as you develop your loads?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Roger, Nice start for that rifle. Will you be using a "Surplus" Powder in it as you develop your loads?

beerAbsotively. Morebeerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roge,

glad to hear you are back and working with the new Stevens...

When you get ready for some other loads like 75 grain AMaxes and 80 grain Match bullets with Store bought powders let me know....

I don't know if you are aware of it, but Hornady has now come out with an 80 grain A Max in 22 caliber....

I am going to get some and test them out in the Savage 12 and also the Ruger 22.250 with the 1 in 8 twist....

That might make a perfect little bullet for blacktail and antelope!

cheers
seafire
cheers

whiskey for my men, beer for my horses...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote