Find
Notify
Tools

.17PPC or .17BR info
 Login/Join

<Arizona Larry>
posted
Hello Gentlemen,
Give me your experiences with the .17PPC or .17BR cartridges. They appear a little overbore to me. But I may be wrong. Any fouling problems with them? Velocity of these loads??? Thanks for your input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why they would be any more over-bore than the .17 Rem and probably a lot more accurate doue to the good brass available......and I''ve never seen a .17 that wasn't a fouler and a real pain-in-the-arse to clean but I have limited "observational" experience with rifles of friends but none of my own.

I think if I were going to do one I would take a close look at the .17/.221...it has a name but I can't think of it. Todd Kinkler is kind of the "King" or sub-calibers and publishes something called "the small caliber news".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Arizona Larry>
posted
Thank you for the input. I think your talking about the .17 Mach IV cartridge. I get Small Caliber News magazine from Todd and it's the greatest source for the small ones. I have ordered his back issues on these cartridges. I'm just looking for real world experiences from .17PPC or .17BR owners.
Thanks, Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I have a 17PPC-VLD (only shoots the Berger 37gr. VLD bullet), that's currently getting a new barrel.
A close friend has a 17BR, with a 9.0" twist barrel, that shoots 30 grainers in excess of 4200fps.

Got ya interested?

Friend Of The 17
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Arizona Larry>
posted
Hey Kevin,
Why did you do that? I'm running out of excuses to not order a barrel. At 37grs, your almost at .224 bullet weights. Must be a darn long bullet! Thanks, Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Be VERY VERY VERY careful about barrel twist when considering the 37VLD bullet.

Although in the past, the "standard" twist has been quoted as 1 in 6.0"........be warned that, in my experience, it is too fast, and bullets unpredictably come apart in the 3200fps range.

Most 17PPC-VLD shooters, and there aint many, are shooting 7.0" twist barrels. My next barrel, fot experimentation, will be a 7.1" twist.

Still interested?

Have 17, Will Travel
Wire Gullette
Wichita Falls

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,
Since ya get Small Caliber News, have ya
done any extensive reading/research about
Todd Kindler's Tactical 20? From any info
I can get, the 20's are kinder to the
barrel both in build-up and heat. The
little Hornady 33's can fly out at 4300+,
are less affected by wind conditions, and
have a flatter trajectory. He sure got me
sold on the Tac 20 -- have a barrel ordered
from VVCG!!!

------------------
Married man can be one of
two things -- he can be
right, or he can be happy!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Arizona Larry>
posted
Hello DannoBoone,
You bring up another interesting subject. I agree with you on the .20cal issue. Dave Kidd did an article on the .20BR in Small Caliber News (Summer 1999, Vol.2, No.2). Velocity averaged about 4200fps with 36gr Berger bullets. I think not so overbore when compared to the .17cal PPC and BR. I just have an interest(weakness) with the BR cases vs .223 cases. Take care, Larry