THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6 Remington with 95 Sierra MK

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Remington with 95 Sierra MK
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Getting great velocities, but not quite the accuracy I am searching for. Any ideas?

Tyler???

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Great velocity, but is it consistant? How about seating depth, are you jumping, on, or jammed in the lands?

What kind of groups are you getting now?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Slim, The SD's are 10 or less and the 300 yard groups are like three or four touching and a flyer on the third ring of Saturn. IMR 4831 pushed them to near 3400 and W760 is in the low 3200's. Loading right now and going to vary the seating depth and go hotter with the W760, and lower with the IMR 4831...

If it wasn't for my shooting I could be sitting with the bikini clad ladies around the pool drinking Margaritas. Bless shooting.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I was jumping mine around .01" in my 6mm Ackley. I backed off my load a lot from 3400+ fps to 3325-3350 now. I bet they're jumping A LOT because my throat looks pretty rough. Still shoots good though. I would say maybe check neck tension, all the simple stuff, but you've probably done that.

Maybe get rid of your flinch? Wink

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Switch powder, switch bullets! Reloader 19 and 87 grain VMaxs to about the tune of 49.0 grains. 3414fps from a 26" barrel, 3500'ish from a 28" barrel and accuracy is pretty darn good too! just ask that groundhog that ate one this past Monday at 832 yards measured and witnessed(the short barreled one, a VLS)..........well maybe you can't ask the groundhog but maybe the crow that was eating on him 30 minutes later!! In all seriousness, the 87 grain VMAX can hold it's own at extended ranges in the 6mm. It's performance at shorter ranges is phenomenal also! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I think if your sd's are in the single digits that your powder/primer combo is fine. I'd focus on the seating depth and maybe neck tension? Start with a .010 jump, then maybe "on" the lands next.

My 6.5 likes .010 jump so far with the smk's. I'm going to try the "on" the lands next...

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Slim, The initial load was on the lands, but this leaves very little of the bearing surface in the neck. I am using the Redding bushing dies and only .0015 tension, which while allowing extremely small rounout... doesn't hold on during liftoff! Went to one size tighter bushing, and going to try .030 and .060 off next week.

Groundhog, I do think the V-maxes are good bullets, but I am only trying to kill some distant paper. Congratulation on the long one.