Find
Notify
Tools

Range day---22PPC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll Eyes22---PPC, Stevens Mod 200, 24" Shaw bull barrel, Std. rough trigger. 34 grain HP Varmint nite mare, Various powders.7.62 nny reformed brass large primer, 50yards, strong breeze, no cooling time.
The last time the 22---PPC was at the range it did Great.
old I intentionally did not clean rifle after last being shot.This Barrel takes a long, long time to get very clean so I decided to see what it could do really fouled. Voila!! will not clean til after the next shoot.
Whistling Today all four loadings shot sub MOA. One ten shot group you could cover with a nickle. One six shot group you could cover with a dime. At 200 and 300 yards. all loadings were great
old I bitch about Shaw Barrels from time to time but most do OK even though they may be rough as a cob. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Roger!

Have you ever thought of fire lapping the barrels or using Tubb's Final Finish on those Shaw barrels? I've a 24" Shaw .358 Win barrel and after reading your posts on the roughness of the Shaw barrel I'm thinking of trying this before I do any load development. Of course first I have to find the right Steven's or Savage donor.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I had a Shaw that shot amazingly well. I used the Tubbs bullets in it and they did help with cleaning, however the accuracy was always superb.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Sounds good Roger!

Have you ever thought of fire lapping the barrels or using Tubb's Final Finish on those Shaw barrels?

I did one some time in the past.I'm not sure I really saw any improvement in accuracy at all. Less cleaning time((( Maybe))). Roll Eyes roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I was just wondering, I've got a Shaw barrel to put on a Stevens that is in .358 Win. I bought a Tubb's FF kit to clean up the barrel since it seems from everyone posting they foul fast.