New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEED 22 HORNET INFORMATION
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need to buy stuff to load a 22 Hornet in a Winchester M43. Anybody shoot one of these and know what bullet size to order? Thanks...

Posts: 51 | Location: IL. USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nailman:
Need to buy stuff to load a 22 Hornet in a Winchester M43. Anybody shoot one of these and know what bullet size to order? Thanks...

Nailman....I had one and it was a 224.....I think all of the 43's were but I can't say for sure....there is a book that details the specs for 43's and other early Winchesters but I don't have it and can'tremember where I saw it advertised? sorry ...I still have 3 boxs of .223s that I got at a closing of a store that was so cheap I got them "just in case" and then went thru 4 more Hornets ...all 224's...good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<dave3220>
posted
The M-43 is certainly more frail than a M-70 or a #3 Ruger. I think my Sav.23D is even a stronger action.
I would look for the most accurate load that did not excede factory vel. or press.

I believe my M-43 was a .224.
My older 23D is .2235, and I shoot .224 bullets thru it accurately enough to take a few digger squirrells at 200 yds. +.

Read Ken Waters on the Hornet, and use small pistol primers,"Hornet" bullets, LEE collet neck-sizer, and AA1680 powder. If your rifle is OK, it won't take much work at all to get sub MOA groups.

Dave .32-20

------------------
Dave

<Chuck66>
posted
I shot a M43 and a kimber and use 224's in both and prefer the 40grs NBT. But I have seen alot of Hornets that liked the 50grs. better. Powder's that work well are W296 9.5 to 11gr. H110 10-11.5gr. (good groups in my guns but velocitys vary 100fps)
AA1680 10gr. and up

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back into the Hornet game myself. The last time I loaded for the Hornet (about 20 years ago), I used good ol' 2400.

Despite my recent return, I just gotta chime in and put in a plug for Hodgdon Lil'Gun.

I have read many, many testimonials to the effectiveness of this powder in the venerable Hornet. Ross Seyfried penned an EXCELLENT article about reloading the Hornet in Handloader magazine #209. (February 2001) This is where I first learned of Lil'Gun and the Hornet.

And of course, Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" series has covered the Hornet over the years as well. Interesting and very informative reading to say the least.

My own limited experience with LG indicates that it works exceptionally well. Lil' Gun delivers comparatively low chamber pressures and very good to excellent accuracy with all traditional Hornet bullet weights.

It's worth a try!

Tim

------------------
What we detest most in others is what we fear most in ourselves.

[This message has been edited by NETim (edited 03-19-2002).]

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
I've got to put in a vote for Lil'Gun myself. It was the biggest single improvement in accuracy for my Ruger 77/22VHZ. 13.1 grains of Lil'Gun, a Federal small pistol primer, and a 40 grain V-Max or Berger and I'm shooting sub-MOA all day.
Hodgdon's claims you can't fit enough Lil'Gun into a Hornet case to reach dangerous pressures.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am new to this board but have been loading for a Ruger 77/22Hornet for about three years. I ahve found that Win296 and Hornaday 40 Gr. VMAX produce VERY good results. Chrono shows 2925 FPS with no signs of high preasure and groups average3/4" every day

Posts: 231 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nailman:

here i go agin if you run in to any ww 680 snap it up works great in my two hornets when thats gone i think ill have to try little gun. good shooting

[This message has been edited by grandpao (edited 03-21-2002).]

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote