THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Brass arrived for 257 Roberts, loads??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass arrived for 257 Roberts, loads??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hey everybody, brass just arrived for my stepfather's 257 roberts AI (of which I am the babysitter). I bought it from 5redman8, thanks to him.

I need to go ahead and work up a load, have no idea what my dad and his brother (he has one also) were shooting, but it was hot. brass life wasn't good.

It is a springfield with douglas 24" barrel, pretty heavy contour.

What bullets have you all found to be good? brand and weight wise? Any good loads you want to share? pwders that work well?

Thanks.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Mine is most accurate with 100gr Nosler BT over IMR4350. I've used some 4064 with light varmint bullets, and H4831 & RL19&22 for heavier bullets. I like the 100gr Hornady Interlocks for deer, but have also had good results using Barne's X's. Mine isn't overly finicky. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine likes IMR4831 and the 120gr Speer HotCore or the 120gr Hornady HP. Great deer caliber!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a springfield roberts it also has a 24 in douglas tube.
Mine is not an AI. It is acurate as hell with most anything I Put in it.
If I was looking for a deer load I would start with either a 110 grain nosler accubond, or a 100 grain either a barnes tripple shock or a Partition.
For powders I think i would start with IMR-4350 and RL-19, But lots of others work well too. H-414 H-4350.
I have another roberts, its a little ruger RL, and it loves The 100 grain tripple shock over 46 grains OF H-414. It gives over 3100 and is quite acurate even from the 20 inch barrel
of my ruger. That rifle also is supurbly accurate with IMR-4350 and a 120 grain Partition.
I see no gain from hor loading your Roberts AI. Shoot a good stiff load but don't if you want a .257 weatherby buy one !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
For shear accuracy and not knowing your twist rate, the 100 grain bullet of your choice with IMR 4350 will probably be the most accurate load you can develope. A close second would be the Nosler 110 AB and either IMR 4831 or H4831 SC, use the regular strength primers.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Bullberry barrel for an Encore. It really likes 100 grain TSXs over Re19. It also does remarkably well with the deer loads I worked up a long time ago for my wife's regular .257 - 120 grain Sierras over IMR4831.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine is built on an FN action ( old JC Higgins Mod 50 ), 24" Lilja #2 w/ 1-10 twist. It likes the 100 gr Speers with H-4350. I have a Burris FF2 3x9 on it. I can't do it, but have had people at the gun range I used to belong to put bullets almost thru the same hole. I had Ray Montgomerey build it about 8 years ago, I think I got my money's worth from him. Al

" Ask not what you can do for your Country, but what the "Broth"a can do for you. "

Posts: 15 | Location: S.E. Mo | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With Quote