Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
Does anyone chamber a factory rifle for the bob?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of West
posted Hide Post
Cooper

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger has 2 in the catalog.
The 20 inch RL, is real light and easy to cary.
The hawkeye. Has a 22 inch barrel and is still not much trouble to haul around.
The RLs can be quite acurate but are often finicky. I have a few loads for mine that are quite good.
I think if you plan to hunt much open country you would be better off with the hawkeye...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber is coming out with the 257 Roberts this year.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Model 77 in 257 Roberts that is one of my favorite rifles. I did some tweaking to get excellent accuracy. I free floated the barrel, polished the bore good with JB Bore Patse, and installed a Rifle Basix trigger.
Sighting in for Deer season last year, I shot the final two confirming shots that were 1/4" apart at 100 yards, one inch high. 100 grain Nosler Partitions, with 45 grains of H-4350.

Don

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Well if you're serious about the 'Bob, I would look at Dakota Arms. Either the model 76 bolt action or the model 10 single shot are gorgeous guns and apparently tack drivers as well. See http://www.dakotaarms.com/

I have had the pleasure of leaving my paw prints on an exquisite model 10!

dancing

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Dakota in 257Ai has been my primary deer rifle for the last 18 or so years. it's a great rifle, but for the price of today's Dakotas, I'd buy a new or old M70, rebarrel and rechamber.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a NIB Winchester M70 push feed Featherweight at the last gun show. Asking price was $800. The nice lady also had them in 7x57, .308 Win. .270 Win. and 30-06, all NIB Featherweights. I love that model.
Her late husband was a Winchester collector. I damn near went back the next to pick up all five.
I already have the Feather weight in .257 Bob and 7x57. Neither are for sale at any price. Mine are strictly stock except for a good glass bedding job and the triggers adjusted to a nice 3 pound pull. Both rifles are sub MOA.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote