THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Recommendations for a bolt action .223
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a bolt action .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The Mini MarkX can make an exceptional rifle. I understand Duane's frustration though, they take an exceptional amount of work to get them there. My personal MIniX is the smoothest cycling rifle I own. Even better than my 09 Arg customs. The 09's were smooth out of the "box", the MiniX, NOT so much. This one was an action only early Interarms that does not have the MASSIVE clearance cut for the extractor.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
The Mini MarkX can make an exceptional rifle. I understand Duane's frustration though, they take an exceptional amount of work to get them there. My personal MIniX is the smoothest cycling rifle I own. Even better than my 09 Arg customs. The 09's were smooth out of the "box", the MiniX, NOT so much. This one was an action only early Interarms that does not have the MASSIVE clearance cut for the extractor.

Nice work, looks great.

But most guys wanting a smooth-feeding, great shooting Mini-Mauser aren't likely to dump $3K into it to get it there. Whistling

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker could we see the bolt on that rifle?, looks like a beautiful piece of work.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

To each is own, but I wouldn't use the "mini Mauser" for a paper weight

Yeah, I agree. Those were junk.

I had one of the early '90s InterArms-imported Mini-Mausers in .223. (They also came chambered 7.62 Soviet). First, the action was rougher than a hog's ass after rubbing a porcupine; second, it had intermittent feeding problems that my 'smith could never fix; third, you couldn't get it to shoot worth beans, whether using factory 'match'-type ammo or careful handloads, and I've loaded .223 ammo extensively across a lot of bullet-weights for my Match AR and my precision 5.56 SPR.

Eventually I got rid of it. Junk.

The CZs are in a different universe compared to the Mini-Mauser dogs.

My experiences exactly!
I rather have a Remington 700 clone to deal with.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned one but the old Brno was a winner, but high dollar these days..and its hard to beat the Sako L-46 clip model or the L-461 in a 222 or 223.

The Ruger no. 1 makes an awesome varmint rifle..Some say they wont shoot but all mine have..A forend screw modified with a V to the barrel makes about any no.1 shoot great..I built a Ruger varminter on 1-A fwt, used a 18 or 20 inch Douglas,(not sure) in a .222 and it was a wonder gun..Shot it for several years, it was all but impossible to measure a 5 shot group. A friend had to have it and he had more money than I back then! CRYBABY

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James,
I love those custom bases..I have the exact set on my custom fwt. G33-40 7x57 that I just finished. Jack did the bases and metal work for me. They are low and I scoped it with a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan Ive owned for several years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ, Kimber and Cooper would be my preference in today’s offerings. Being a southpaw, I have an early Kimber and a Ruger 77 in .223.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of those H&R Ultras, full stocked. I believe they are real fine rifles. Way more quality than current prices indicate

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

How much of that metalwork is your own? I am sure you did all of the installation work, but what I mean is which of those parts did you actually make yourself?

And what is that final finish. Is that some sort of glass beading or oxide beading?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote