THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    market price for M1903 MS in 6.5x54?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

market price for M1903 MS in 6.5x54?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Brother has MannlicherSchoenaur M1903 carbine in 6.5x54 in excellent unmodified condition. DST, no drilling or tapping holes in metal, or stock. Reddish walnut. Bore is a tad frosty. Hasn't been fired in 58 years (it was our Dad's), even then, he shot it only to say it was sight in. He bought it for his wife to be, so they could go hunting together. My Mom is NOT a hunter, so the gun stayed in a case for almost 60 years. Metal/bluing is 95%, no pitting. Stock/finish is near the same, very strong, perhaps a couple of handling marks. As far as I can remember, there isn't any engraving on it (perhaps some fine border work if any). I haven't seen it in 5 years. Going to visit him later this month. He's talking about selling it, but not sure what typical pricing is for this. I'll take my camera with me and take some pictures if someone can help. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
in original cond. no alterations ,or reblue ,stockwork it should bring 850-1450$ you will see them for more but i think they are slow sellers ,check to see if the bolt number matches the action number ,also if it was sold by another second party such as jeffery or evans it will be worth more ......paul

Posts: 78 | Location: massachusetts,USA | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lucked into one for $399 a year ago. Most you see listed on places like www.gunsamerica.com or www. gunbroker.com are asking about $1200-$1400.

Why does he want to sell it? You can get dies from RCBS, brass from Huntington's and data from Hornady. I've been hunting and shooting with mine since I got it and it's become one of my favorite toys. My girlfriend likes to shoot it too. I used it on a Texas Dahl ram in June and was inpressed by the way the bullet preformed. I load a 160 gr Hornady round nose over 37.4 gr of H4831SC and a Fed 210 primer. It will shoot 10 bullets in a 3/4 inch group at 50 yards with a Lyman Receiver Peep sight. It will go to Africa on my next safari to be used on light game.

Load it up and take it deer hunting. You'll have fun with it.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I once owned two M/S carbines. I sold them. What a fool I was!!

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
You have a private message.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buttstock,

Very seriously, I think you should persuade your brother to give you the rifle or sell it to you at a family discount. These are among the smoothest operating bolt action rifles ever made and you would not go wrong at all in possessing one even if the ammunition is somewhat difficult to get.

If you do hunt, you would have the honour of hunting with what was widely (and still is in many places) regarded as a "gentleman's rifle."

Do post pictures of it here whether you buy or sell it to someone else. Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote