New
Find
Notify
Tools

shadow lline
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what is the big deal with shadow lines?? is there a purpose or is it a show off thing? i never cared to much for them so just asking

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that one purpose of a shadow line (like say on a cheekpiece) would be for a gunmaker or stockmaker to show his (or her) ability and craftsmanship. Just another little touch that makes the whole more than just a sum of its pieces.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's extra ornamentation, like engraving. When it's done correctly it adds to the beauty of the gun, when it's done poorly it detracts.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12707 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they look great. I have one on a Shiloh Sharps 45-70.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I think they look great.

+1

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
+2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On an expensive custom stock, they should have a shadow line, it just looks nice and shows some skill on the stockmakers part although is easy enough to do..without one its like a picture hanging on the wall without a frame..

In reality there is no real need for a cheek piece its just an add on for looks and the gunmakers skill..Nor is there any need for a foreend cap. grip cap or even checkering if you really want to get specific about it..We shot guns without checkering for ions, and never knew better..A gun can get real plain Jane if you strip it down to "whatcha gotta have". faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote